Exploring the Open University Degree in Physics/Maths-Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the option of pursuing a degree in Physics or Maths/Physics from the Open University. The individual asking the question has a background in physics and is interested in keeping their mind active and sharp. They mention their experience with studying Prof Susskind's Theoretical Min series and their surprise at how much of their previous knowledge came back to them. They also mention the lack of structure in other physics resources and inquire about the structure, material, teaching methods, and time commitment involved in the Open University course. Another individual with experience studying at the Open University shares their positive experience and recommends the courses, highlighting their rigorous and well-organized nature. They also mention the need to attend in-person sessions for labs and tutorials for scientific
RahSuh
Hi

Strange question but here goes

I am thinking of doing the Open University degree in Physics or Maths/Physics and wondered if anyone had done it and had any thoughts

By way of background I actually did physics undergrad degree over 25 years ago (gosh!) here in the UK. But like a lot of people, I got bored with physics and then went into finance here in the UK. And totally forgot about physics. However, in the last few years, I have got very interested in it again.

In fact have been steadily working my way through Prof Susskinds Theoretical Min series - which are refreshing, unique and perfectly aimed at me (ie someone with rusty physics but someone who knows what what differential eqns are etc.)

I hadn't thought about physics for 25 years but it came back to me after a few hours/weeks of studying. It is startling how much of ones knowledge just sits there in one's mental hard drive - ready to be taken out and reused. You forget the details, but the principles are still there. In fact, I know understand the bits of physics I have studied now better than when I was a (lazy!) under- grad

Even though there are lots of physics resources out there - they are unstructured for an interested amateur like me. Some are too complicated, some are too easy and some don't have a logical structure that a university degree offers (ie at uni - they teach you the easy stuff first, then the not so easy stuff, making sure you study in logical order)

So for me - the degree would purely be a hobby ( I am not going to quit work/ have no intention of doing PhD/ or of being a fulltime physicist) It is purely to keep my mind active and sharp.

What I wanted to know:

- Is the course well structured
- Is the material interesting
- Teaching methods actually update / fresh
- The time commitment involved?

Appreciate any thoughts

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't done a degree with the OU, but I'm studying two standalone modules (MST326 and MST210). Previous to this I have a masters degree in chemical engineering and another one in membrane engineering.

I think the courses are excellent. Compared to courses on my other degrees, often put together by a researcher who is mainly interested in his research and not course design/pedagogy, the courses are very rigorous and well organised. Both textbooks are very well written on the whole, and come with a handbook, the first half of which contains pre-requisite knowledge summaries and all the things your likely to need (standard integrals, summaries of mathematical techniques etc), while the latter half contains summaries of each unit. Also expect very good cross-referencing both within a module and between modules (e.g. in MST326 it'll say 'we can solve this PDE using separation of variables, (See MST210 Unit X, Page XX)).

Regarding time commitment, the individual modules have a guideline as to how much study time is required. I would normally suggest taking the upper limits as a guideline, as I would expect the lower limits to be if you want to pass, rather than get a distinction. However, with your previous studies, this might not apply, and you may want to go by the lower limit. From what I know, a 30 credit module requires 8-10 hours a week, while a 60 credit module requires 16-20 hours a week. A full-time course would have 120 credits, so expect a minimum of 32 hours study a week.

Overall, I strongly recommend.

Likes Nidum
General experience of many people is that OU courses are excellent .

Please note though that the courses are not all based entirely on distance learning and private study .

Most of the courses in scientific and engineering subjects require the student to attend in person at the OU campus for labs , intensive courses and some tutorials .

Nidum said:
Please note though that the courses are not all based entirely on distance learning and private study .

Most of the courses in scientific and engineering subjects require the student to attend in person at the OU campus for labs , intensive courses and some tutorials .

That used to be the case, but most residential courses were scrapped a few years ago.

FluidStu said:
I haven't done a degree with the OU, but I'm studying two standalone modules (MST326 and MST210). Previous to this I have a masters degree in chemical engineering and another one in membrane engineering.

I think the courses are excellent. Compared to courses on my other degrees, often put together by a researcher who is mainly interested in his research and not course design/pedagogy, the courses are very rigorous and well organised. Both textbooks are very well written on the whole, and come with a handbook, the first half of which contains pre-requisite knowledge summaries and all the things your likely to need (standard integrals, summaries of mathematical techniques etc), while the latter half contains summaries of each unit. Also expect very good cross-referencing both within a module and between modules (e.g. in MST326 it'll say 'we can solve this PDE using separation of variables, (See MST210 Unit X, Page XX)).

Regarding time commitment, the individual modules have a guideline as to how much study time is required. I would normally suggest taking the upper limits as a guideline, as I would expect the lower limits to be if you want to pass, rather than get a distinction. However, with your previous studies, this might not apply, and you may want to go by the lower limit. From what I know, a 30 credit module requires 8-10 hours a week, while a 60 credit module requires 16-20 hours a week. A full-time course would have 120 credits, so expect a minimum of 32 hours study a week.

Overall, I strongly recommend.
Hi - many thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. I am very very tempted to do the course. Its a question of time commitment to see it through. I will have to think about that hard. Take care.

1. What is the Open University Degree in Physics/Maths-Physics?

The Open University Degree in Physics/Maths-Physics is an undergraduate degree program that combines the study of physics with mathematics. It is designed for students who have a strong interest in both subjects and want to pursue a career in fields such as research, engineering, or teaching.

2. What topics are covered in the degree program?

The degree program covers a wide range of topics in both physics and mathematics, including mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, calculus, algebra, and statistics. Students will also have the opportunity to choose elective courses in specialized areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, or mathematical modeling.

3. Is this degree program suitable for students with no prior background in physics or mathematics?

Yes, the Open University Degree in Physics/Maths-Physics is designed to accommodate students with varying levels of background knowledge in the subjects. The program includes introductory courses to build a strong foundation and progresses to more advanced topics. However, students are expected to have a strong aptitude for mathematics and the ability to think critically and analytically.

4. Can I complete this degree program online?

Yes, the Open University offers a fully online version of the Degree in Physics/Maths-Physics. This allows students to study at their own pace and from anywhere in the world. However, some courses may require occasional on-campus attendance for laboratory sessions or exams. It is important to check the specific requirements of each course before enrolling.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a degree in Physics/Maths-Physics?

Graduates of this program are well-equipped for a variety of career paths, including research, engineering, data analysis, and education. Many also go on to pursue graduate studies in physics or related fields. The skills acquired in this degree, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and data analysis, are highly sought after in many industries and can lead to a range of exciting and rewarding career opportunities.