Open Voltage and Short Circuit

In summary, the task is to find Voc and Isc in the given circuit. For Voc, the current i1 is first solved using mesh current analysis and then used to find the voltage drop across R2, resulting in a Voc value of 4.13 V. For Isc, the circuit is altered by shorting terminals a and b, resulting in two loops and the need for two KVL equations to solve for the currents. Alternatively, superposition can be used for a simpler solution.
ohdrayray

Homework Statement

So the first part is to find Voc in this circuit:
263bz3c.png

So I did this:
-10 + 1200*i1 + 3300*(i1 - i2) - 12 = 0
since i2 = 0 A,
-22 + 4500*i1 = 0
i1 = 22/4500 A = 0.0049 A

Then, for Voc:
3300*(i2 - i1) + Voc + 12 = 0
since i2 = 0 A,
3300*(−22/4500) + Voc + 12 = 0
Voc = 62/15 V = 4.13 V

Then the next part is to find the short circuit current Isc in the same circuit:
2uona04.png

Assuming that my calculations for i1 were right, let i1 = 0.0049
Isc = i2 so then do mesh current analysis for the second mesh, which will get:

3300(i2 - i1) + 12 = 0
3300(i2 - 0.0049) + 12 = 0
3300i2 - 16.137 + 12 = 0
3300i2 = 4.137
i2 = 0.001254 A
.:. Isc = 0.00125 A

Would this be correct? Thanks in advance for any help given. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ohdrayray said:

Homework Statement

So the first part is to find Voc in this circuit:
263bz3c.png

So I did this:
-10 + 1200*i1 + 3300*(i1 - i2) - 12 = 0
since i2 = 0 A,
-22 + 4500*i1 = 0
i1 = 22/4500 A = 0.0049 A

Then, for Voc:
3300*(i2 - i1) + Voc + 12 = 0
since i2 = 0 A,
3300*(−22/4500) + Voc + 12 = 0
Voc = 62/15 V = 4.13 V

Since you know that terminals a and b are open circuited, you only have one loop. Writing in i2 as a variable is unnecessary.

You've solved for the current in the loop, and the result is okay. You might consider taking advantage of unit prefixes. Thus i1 = 4.9 mA.

Now, regarding Voc, note the polarity of the 12V supply: starting at terminal b and proceeding through the 12V supply there is a DROP of 12V. Proceeding on through R2, since the current i1 flows from top to bottom of R2, there will be a potential rise as we pass through. So Voc = -12V + i1*R2.

Then the next part is to find the short circuit current Isc in the same circuit:
2uona04.png

Assuming that my calculations for i1 were right, let i1 = 0.0049
Nope! You can't do that since the circuit changes when the open circuit at a-b becomes a short circuit; You now have two loops instead of one, and they will interact via their common components (R2 in particular).

You'll have to write the two KVL mesh equations and solve for the currents, or use another method as you see fit (Source transformations (Norton), superposition, etc.). Superposition would be particularly simple for this problem.

1. What is open voltage?

Open voltage, also known as open circuit voltage, is the maximum voltage that can be measured in a circuit when no current is flowing. It is the voltage difference between the two terminals of an open circuit.

2. What is a short circuit?

A short circuit occurs when there is a direct connection between two points in a circuit that are meant to have a certain amount of resistance. This results in an extremely high current flow, which can damage the circuit and potentially cause a fire.

3. How are open voltage and short circuit related?

Open voltage and short circuit are two opposite conditions in an electrical circuit. Open voltage refers to a circuit with no current flow, while a short circuit is a circuit with extremely high current flow. Both can be dangerous and can cause damage to the circuit.

4. What causes open voltage?

Open voltage is caused by a break in the circuit, such as a disconnected wire or a switch that is turned off. It can also occur when a component in the circuit fails and creates an open circuit.

5. How can short circuits be prevented?

Short circuits can be prevented by ensuring that all wires and connections in a circuit are properly insulated and secured. It is also important to use the correct size and type of wires for a circuit and to avoid overloading the circuit. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help prevent short circuits from occurring.