Open Titanium Case w/ Steel Pins: Advice Needed

• Thread starter Fig Neutron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titanium
In summary, a writer is looking for a way to get into a military case that has high-carbon steel pins in the hinges, but they are running into problems. There is a titanium case with high-carbon steel pins in the hinges. The characters in the story need a way to open the case. It is not possible to bypass the biometric locking system, and they are stuck trying to come up with a realistically possible way that the case could be forcibly opened. There is a fair amount of flexibility in what materials are available, and the main focus is not on the science fiction aspects of the story.
Fig Neutron
Hello everyone, I am working with a writer on a book that is bordering on science fiction but set in modern day Earth.

Here is the issue. There is a titanium case with high-carbon steel pins in the hinges. (Think of a sophisticated military weapons style of container.) The characters in the story need a way to open the case. The contents are unknown, so it is best to use a method that will cause the least amount of damage to the contents. (We floated the idea of heating the pins until they become mailable, but there were some flaws we were struggling to overcome.) It is not possible to bypass the biometric locking system, and we are stuck trying to come up with a realistically possible way that the case could be forcibly opened.

As for the materials available, there is a fair amount of flexibility. The setting is essentially the armory of a military base, but materials are not limited to what is in the room.

As I said, science fiction is not the main focus, so I don’t think there are any notable circumstances that complicate the situation.

Please let me if I need to provide any more information. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciate. Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
An angle grinder should do the trick.

1603481953616.png

Likes Rive and DaveE
Diamond saw?

Fig Neutron said:
(We floated the idea of heating the pins until they become mailable, but there were some flaws we were struggling to overcome.)
Wrong direction in temperature. I'm not going to post any links, but it sounds like freezing the pins and breaking them would do what you want.

Likes Fig Neutron
Put it in a mill and carefully cut almost through a wall, then break it free like opening a soda can. You could use thermal shock on the last bit, but that's probably not necessary. Be careful of heating, that can damage stuff inside. Really, this isn't difficult technology, any machinist can do it.

I appreciate all of your thoughts. I didn’t make it very clear in my original post, but I should add that we are going for an improvised way in. Sorry that this wasn’t clear.

Here's a tutorial on working with titanium.

Fig Neutron said:
As for the materials available, there is a fair amount of flexibility.
Fig Neutron said:
I didn’t make it very clear in my original post, but I should add that we are going for an improvised way in.
"Well, which is it young fella?" -- Quiz Question -- What movie is that from? :smile:

Did you do any searching for the links that I didn't want to post about freezing locks/bolts? There's a pretty simple MacGyver improvisation to use that technique (unfortunately).

Assuming the contents of the case are potentially temperature sensitive, you will probably want a mechanical solution to getting in.

Something like the jaws of life would be an option. As others have said, a cutting device is probably what you'll be looking for. If the case is thin enough, the mechanical impact of a fire axe might be sufficient, particularly the spike-side. An alternative would be to find a way to pull the two halves apart with a winch, if it could be written to have a handle on both halves. You could even chain it between two tanks and drive them apart to rip it up. This sort of improv could also be tied to dramatic tension - such a large effort in opening the case (a runaway tank driving off with half the case trailing behind, for example) can help to trigger more of the story, perhaps giving them no time to understand what they've found - the runaway tank has alerted their rivals or whatnot, and they are now too busy escaping to think about it.

Likes Fig Neutron
Fig Neutron said:
...we are going for an improvised way in.
Angle grinder is still the most common tool likely to be found 'everywhere'.
Either just for the head of the pins or directly for the sheets.

Ps.: in case you want to put some more 'sci' into it, do a google for 'Forcible Attack Resistant Materials' and change the titanium to something else :wink:

Last edited:
Likes Fig Neutron

1. What is an open titanium case with steel pins?

An open titanium case with steel pins is a type of protective case that is made from titanium and has steel pins that hold it together. It is designed to protect valuable items such as electronics or jewelry from damage.

2. What are the benefits of using an open titanium case with steel pins?

There are several benefits to using an open titanium case with steel pins. These include its durability, lightweight design, and resistance to corrosion. It also provides excellent protection for valuable items.

3. How do I choose the right open titanium case with steel pins for my needs?

When choosing an open titanium case with steel pins, consider the size and weight of the items you want to protect, as well as the level of protection you need. You should also consider the design and features of the case, such as additional compartments or locking mechanisms.

4. Can an open titanium case with steel pins be customized?

Yes, many manufacturers offer customization options for open titanium cases with steel pins. This can include choosing the color, size, and features of the case to suit your specific needs.

5. How do I maintain and care for my open titanium case with steel pins?

To maintain your open titanium case with steel pins, regularly clean it with a soft cloth and mild soap. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that may damage the case. Additionally, make sure to properly store the case when not in use to prevent any damage or scratches.