Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opening Packages

1. Mar 25, 2006 #1
    Used to be you could use these:

[​IMG]

Then, you had to start using these:

[​IMG]

But then you had to start using these:

[​IMG]

Lately, though, I've had to upgrade to these:

[​IMG]

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2006 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: The same has occurred to me lately. It's especially frustrating when scissors are sold in packaging that requires scissors to open! :grumpy:

4. Mar 25, 2006 #3
    I bought a new tape player a couple weeks ago and went to a coffee shop. I wanted to look the player over while I had coffee and read the literature that came with it. I tried everything I could think of to get it open with no luck. For a quite a few minutes I just figured I was doing it wrong. Eventually it became clear they had designed the package so there was no non-destructive way to open it!

We are now required to break into what we buy.

5. Mar 25, 2006 #4
    Lately, I've been noticing that there is some special glue which under no circumstances will come off...ever, not even with rubbing alcohol or fire or both or anything.... The glue is specially made to make you cry :(

Also, I've come across new packaging tape which seems to leave tons of adhesive junk onto any knife you use to tear through it....

6. Mar 25, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of the packaging plastics today are amazing. They don't look like much, and the slightest rip allows for easy removal, but just try to rip it up without a helping start.

7. Mar 25, 2006 #6
    If I was somewhere without scissors or a knife, I used to be able to get that little rip started by sawing on it with a key. That doesn't work anymore.

I finally got the tape player out of the plastic when a guy wandering by bummed a cigarette. I asked him if he happened to have a pocket knife, and it turned out he had a penknife. Even with that it was incredibly hard to saw through this plastic. This is about the third thing I've gotten in the past year that absolutely requires you to destroy the packaging to get it open.

8. Mar 25, 2006 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Someone once mailed me a tin can with a can opener inside.

9. Mar 25, 2006 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When you travel to or from the US, they seal your luggage with those plastic strips that have the locking mechanism that can't be opened. How are you supposed to open your suitcase when you are not allowed to carry anything sharp with you on the flight?

10. Mar 25, 2006 #9
    I haven't had to flee the country...I mean travel abroad, since the '70's, so I haven't run into this.

11. Mar 25, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I forgot that...they did that to me the last time I flew to Canada. :grumpy: I had to ask the front desk of the hotel for scissors!

12. Mar 25, 2006 #11
    That's an awesome gag.

13. Mar 25, 2006 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they make the packaging any tougher, I'm going to need an explosives expert to open them.

14. Mar 26, 2006 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It happened the first time to me when traveling from the US to Sardinia in 2002 (just after the Iraq invasion), it took about 24 hours to actually reach the bungalow resort (I was exhausted and hungry), then when I finally reached my bungalow and crashed on the bed I realized there was no way I could open my suitcase, so I had to drag the thing back again down stairs and up a hill to the reception desk..

I came back to my bungalow, ate some chocolates I had bought when changing airplanes, fell asleep at 3 pm (the restaurant wouldn't open until the evening) and woke up the next morning.. :smile:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  15. Mar 27, 2006 #14

jimmy p

Gold Member

The new game for packagers is to vacuum seal things, and use rigid plastic so it is hard to saw through. I hate that SO much.

16. Mar 27, 2006 #15
    This is exactly what I'm talking about, this very hard and overly thick plastic that is completely welded together all the way around.

17. Mar 27, 2006 #16

jimmy p

Gold Member

The plastic is so vicious I usually cut myself on it. I tend to avoid things packaged in that nowadays.

18. Mar 27, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, that's the stuff. How do you avoid it? I can't find much of anything that isn't sold in that stuff anymore.

I can understand when some small, electronic gadget is sealed in that stuff; it helps prevent shoplifting if you can't easily slip the item out of the package. But, I don't understand why EVERYTHING has to be in that stuff.

19. Mar 27, 2006 #18
    During one particularly difficult and epic battle, some of it jammed up under a fingernail. I was reduced to a whimpering mess. 15 minutes and a great deal of supressed violence later I returned to the field and emerged with a narrow but definitive victory but looking like I wrestled with a rose bush.

The mother *&@#*$#$# son of a @%&#*#@#$ things are called clamshell packages and they were rated the worst of 237 different packaging techonologies by Consumer Reports. The CDC's number five cause of nonfatal unintentional injury is the "unintentional cut/pierce." We should send this stuff to the terrorists.

20. Mar 28, 2006 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

That's brilliant!!!! :rofl:

I actually broke something I bought once trying to get it out of the package. :devil:

21. Mar 28, 2006 #20

jimmy p

Gold Member

I just find the cheapest stuff that I can buy just to avoid it! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?