Why are threads not opening after a search?

• Bug
  • Thread starter Insanity
  • Start date
In summary, When trying to open a thread after searching for a keyword, a 406 Not Acceptable error may occur due to the keyword containing a character that cannot be used in a URL. A workaround is to manually edit the URL by deleting the & symbol and everything after it. The "highlight" feature may also not work properly.
Insanity
Was having issues in opening threads listed after doing a search.

Search for a keyword, a list was generated, click on the link for a thread and get the following error.

Code:
406 Not Acceptable

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /showthread.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Physics news on Phys.org
This happens when the word you searched for contains a character that can't be used in a URL. Try searching for "Poincaré" for example. A workaround is to edit the URL manually. I just delete the & symbol and everything after it. I don't really like the "highlight" feature anyway.

1. What is the purpose of opening threads from searches?

The purpose of opening threads from searches is to access and read through specific discussions or conversations related to a particular topic or keyword. This allows users to find information and engage in online discussions more efficiently.

2. How do I open a thread from a search?

To open a thread from a search, simply click on the search result that is a link to the thread. This will redirect you to the thread page where you can read through the discussion and participate if desired.

3. Can I open multiple threads from a single search?

Yes, you can open multiple threads from a single search by clicking on each search result that links to a different thread. This will open each thread in a new tab or window, depending on your browser settings.

4. Is it possible to filter search results to only show threads?

Yes, it is possible to filter search results to only show threads by adjusting the search settings. Many search engines and platforms have options to filter results by type, and you can select "threads" or "discussions" to only show those types of results.

5. Is opening threads from searches safe?

Opening threads from searches is generally safe, as long as you exercise caution and follow internet safety best practices. It is always a good idea to double check the source and credibility of the thread before engaging in any discussions or clicking on any links within the thread.