Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OpenOffice 2.0 Released

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

http://www.openoffice.org/

OpenOffice is a free office suite that includes:

Writer: word processor
    Calc: spreadsheet
    Impress: presentation
    Draw: vector drawing
    Math: math typesetting
    Base: database

One of the key features of this release is the use OASIS Open Document Format.

http://www.oasis-open.org/

What this means is that 5, 10 or 20 years from now you'll still be able to read/write all your documents because the format is an open standard.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    It is beautiful, atleast it looks way better than the previous version I had. I just installed in on windows. I'm gonna get it for windows later.

4. Oct 20, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Yeah, I really like how I can position everything very neatly. The more compact the better. It also loads up much faster.

5. Oct 20, 2005 #4
    Cool, I have been using the beta for the past month or so and it is nice, I will dl this tonight, thanks for the update :smile:

6. Oct 21, 2005 #5
    It's the first time that I will install OpenOffice in my computer, although I also have Microsoft Office. I will see if it will be more advantageous.

7. Oct 27, 2005 #6
    A good advantage in write is the built in PDF support. Usually you have to download a PDF driver for ms word.

8. Oct 29, 2005 #7

graphic7

Gold Member

Nowadays, I'm exclusively using StarOffice/OpenOffice for all of my productivity needs that LaTeX isn't suited for. 'Impress' and 'Calc' are excellent substitutes for Powerpoint and Excel, as I haven't had a need for Microsoft Office in over a year. Most documents I compose in StarOffice/OpenOffice are immediately exported to PDF, which is the format I prefer to distribute my documents in for maximum readability by other people.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?