Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OpenOffice 2.0 Released

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1

Staff Emeritus

OpenOffice is a free office suite that includes:

Writer: word processor
    Calc: spreadsheet
    Impress: presentation
    Draw: vector drawing
    Math: math typesetting
    Base: database

One of the key features of this release is the use OASIS Open Document Format.

What this means is that 5, 10 or 20 years from now you'll still be able to read/write all your documents because the format is an open standard.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    It is beautiful, atleast it looks way better than the previous version I had. I just installed in on windows. I'm gonna get it for windows later.
  4. Oct 20, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus

Yeah, I really like how I can position everything very neatly. The more compact the better. It also loads up much faster.
  5. Oct 20, 2005 #4
    Cool, I have been using the beta for the past month or so and it is nice, I will dl this tonight, thanks for the update :smile:
  6. Oct 21, 2005 #5
    It's the first time that I will install OpenOffice in my computer, although I also have Microsoft Office. I will see if it will be more advantageous.
  7. Oct 27, 2005 #6
    A good advantage in write is the built in PDF support. Usually you have to download a PDF driver for ms word.
  8. Oct 29, 2005 #7

Gold Member

Nowadays, I'm exclusively using StarOffice/OpenOffice for all of my productivity needs that LaTeX isn't suited for. 'Impress' and 'Calc' are excellent substitutes for Powerpoint and Excel, as I haven't had a need for Microsoft Office in over a year. Most documents I compose in StarOffice/OpenOffice are immediately exported to PDF, which is the format I prefer to distribute my documents in for maximum readability by other people.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?