How do I write a Cayley table for ##D_3## using cycle notation?

In summary, operations in mathematics refer to rules or procedures used to combine numbers or expressions. Cycle notation is a method in group theory to describe permutations, and it is used to represent group elements as a product of disjoint cycles. It has advantages such as being concise and efficient, and it can also be applied to non-mathematical contexts.
Bashyboy
Hello everyone,

The problem I am working on asks me to write a Cayley table for ##D_3## using cycle notation. However, I am having difficult with determining how to operate on a pair of "cycles." Here is my work so far:

##R_0 = e = ()##

##R_{120} = (123)##

##R_{240} = (312)##

##F_T = (321)## (This transformation corresponds to holding the top corner fixed and flipping it)

##F_L = (132)##

##F_R = (213)##

Now, I realize that ##R_{120} \circ R_{120} = R_{240}##; but how do I write this mapping in cycle notation?

##(123) \circ (123) = (312)##...

I am trying to figure out the rule by which I form a new cycle.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Hello everyone,

The problem I am working on asks me to write a Cayley table for ##D_3## using cycle notation. However, I am having difficult with determining how to operate on a pair of "cycles." Here is my work so far:

##R_0 = e = ()##

##R_{120} = (123)##

##R_{240} = (312)##

##F_T = (321)## (This transformation corresponds to holding the top corner fixed and flipping it)

##F_L = (132)##

##F_R = (213)##

Now, I realize that ##R_{120} \circ R_{120} = R_{240}##; but how do I write this mapping in cycle notation?

##(123) \circ (123) = (312)##...

I am trying to figure out the rule by which I form a new cycle.

I don't think you have the members of the group written correctly in cycle notation. If you are asking how to multiply cycles try You'll find (123)(123)=(321). And, for example, (123)=(312) - they represent the same permutation.

I don't quite understand what (1 5 2 4 6 8)(3 7) is. This is all my textbook says regarding cycle notation:

"...we can denote the same counterclockwise rotation by (123), where this notation is interpreted to mean that each number goes to the number to its right, except the last number in the parenthesis, which goes to the first number in the parenthesis. This notation is called the cycle notation."

I have searched the internet to learn more about this cycle notation; however, I did not find much information.

Bashyboy said:
"...we can denote the same counterclockwise rotation by (123), where this notation is interpreted to mean that each number goes to the number to its right, except the last number in the parenthesis, which goes to the first number in the parenthesis. This notation is called the cycle notation."

So it sounds to me that your ##R_{120}## means to conduct just this operation.
##R_{120}\circ R_{120}= (123)(123)##
Means, each number goes to the number on its right, except for the last number which goes to the first number.
(123)(ABC)= (CAB)
(123) sends A to the right, B to the right and C to the front.

I find this cycle notation very disagreeable. I really don't understand how to use this cycle notation. Also, I can't figure out why by cycles are incorrect.

How would I, for instance, compute ##(123) \circ (132)##, where ##(132)## is applied first? It should result in the identity.

I think the video Dick posted explained this pretty well.
Start with 1.
(132) sends 1 to 3, (123) acts on 3 and sends it to 1.
For 2:
(132) sends 2 to 1, (123) acts on 1 and sends it to 2.
For 3:
(132) sends 3 to 2, (123) acts on 2 and sends it to 3.

I understand how a single transformation works. I would like to understand how a composition of transformations works.

Bashyboy said:
I understand how a single transformation works. I would like to understand how a composition of transformations works.

Ruber was explaining how to compute the product (123)(132). That is a composition of the two permutations (132) and (123).

Okay, after having watched the video again, I believe I am understanding what happens a little better. However, there is still one aspect of the calculation that confuses me: how do we know when to close the cycle? In the example given in the video, he closes the first cycle because 6 went to 1; but he closes the second cycle because 3 went to 7 and 7 and went to 3 (basically, no transformation took place). How do I distinguish the two cases?

Also, have I correctly translated the transformations into cycle notation?

##R_0 := ()##

##R_{120} := (123)##

##R_{240} := (132)##

##F_T := (23)##

##F_L := (12)##

##F_R := (13)##

Bashyboy said:
Also, have I correctly translated the transformations into cycle notation?

##R_0 := ()##

##R_{120} := (123)##

##R_{240} := (132)##

##F_T := (23)##

##F_L := (12)##

##F_R := (13)##

You close a cycle when the last number maps back into the first number. And those look more plausible. Hard to say without a diagram of what they are.

1. What is "operations" in mathematics?

Operations in mathematics refer to a set of rules or procedures that are used to combine numbers or mathematical expressions to obtain a result. Examples of operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is cycle notation in group theory?

Cycle notation is a method used in group theory to describe permutations of a set of objects. It involves writing the elements of the set in a specific order and indicating how they are permuted or moved by a particular operation.

3. How is cycle notation used to represent group elements?

In group theory, cycle notation is used to represent group elements as a product of disjoint cycles. Each cycle represents a permutation of the elements, and the product of all the cycles in a group element represents the overall permutation.

4. What are the advantages of using cycle notation?

One advantage of cycle notation is that it provides a concise and efficient way to represent group elements. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of group elements, compared to other methods such as matrix representation.

5. Can cycle notation be applied to non-mathematical contexts?

Yes, cycle notation can be applied to non-mathematical contexts, such as in computer science and cryptography. It can also be used to describe patterns in music, dance, and other art forms.