Graphical Analysis of Functions: Finding g(x+3) at x=1

In summary, the conversation involves two separate problems. The first problem involves finding the value of g(\frac{1}{x}) by substituting it into the given equation and simplifying. The second problem involves finding the value of f(x+3) at x=1 using a graph of the functions f and g. It is clarified that "at" means substituting the given value into the function, and the correct approach is to find the value of f(4) on the graph.
sportsguy3675
Little help please and some work checking.

Given [tex]f(x)=3x+2[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=\frac{x-4}{2x}[/tex]

It asks for [tex]g(\frac{1}{x})[/tex]

So substitute in: [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{x} - 4}{2(\frac{1}{x})}[/tex]

Simplify: [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{x} - 4}{\frac{2}{x}}[/tex]

I multiply top and bottom by x right?

That would give: [tex]\frac{1 - 4x}{2}[/tex] and [tex]D_{f} = \Re[/tex] Correct?

------------------

Then on this other problem I have a graph of different functions f and g. The problem says g(x+3) at x=1. Does that mean I find the y value on g where x = 1 (4) and then add 3 and then find g(7)? Or do I add 1 to 3 and take g(4)?

Physics news on Phys.org
listen up sportsguy...

ur first working is correct...

for the second one...do u hav only the graph or is the equatios provided?

listen up sportsguy...

ur first working is correct...

for the second one...do u hav only the graph or is the equatios provided?

its pretty simple for the second one too where in case u were jus given the graphs...
g(x+3) means notin but shifting the graph by 3 units to the left...if u could redraw the graph then...just draw it and look for the value at one...or the more simpler approach would be to jus look for the value at g(4)...

OK, thanks.

On the 2nd part, it has nothing to do with graphing. There is just a graph with f and g drawn on it and you just have to find the value based on that graph. All the other questions were normal but I don't understand the whole at x = whatever business. That why I asked if it was asking for g(4) or g(7).

The second problem says f(x+3)- that is x+ 3, not y+ 3! Also, that "x+3" is inside the parentheses for the function.

If x= 1 then you add x not y: x+ 3= 1+ 3= 4. Then apply the function.
If x= 1, f(x+3)= f(1+ 3)= f(4).

Yeah, but see it didn't say If, it said at. But I did look on the graph for f(4). :)

1. What is an operation of a function?

An operation of a function is a mathematical process that manipulates the input (also known as the independent variable) of a function to produce a corresponding output (also known as the dependent variable). Examples of operations include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and composition.

2. How do I perform an operation on a function?

To perform an operation on a function, you first need to identify which operation you want to use. Then, plug in the input value of the function into the operation and follow the proper order of operations. The resulting output will be the new value of the function.

3. Why are operations of functions important?

Operations of functions are important because they allow us to manipulate and analyze mathematical relationships in a systematic way. By performing operations on functions, we can better understand their behavior and make predictions about their outputs.

4. Is there a specific order in which operations of functions should be performed?

Yes, there is a specific order in which operations of functions should be performed. This order is known as the order of operations and it is as follows: parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (performed from left to right), and finally addition and subtraction (also performed from left to right).

5. Can operations of functions be performed on any type of function?

Yes, operations of functions can be performed on any type of function, including linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions. However, the specific operations that can be performed may vary depending on the type of function.