1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operations on 2 vector fields?

1. Nov 16, 2007 #1
    Supposing we have as 2 vector fields:

[tex] F = x^2i + 2zj +3k [/tex]
    and
    [tex] G = r^2e_r + 2\cos\Theta e_{\Theta} + 3\sin(2\phi) e_\phi [/tex]

how do i perform the following operations on them?

- [tex] F\cdot r [/tex]

- [tex] F\times r [/tex]

- |G|

- [tex] G\cdot r [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you write [tex]\hat r[/tex] in terms of rectangular components and of spherical-polar coordinates?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  4. Nov 20, 2007 #3

No, sorry. How do i do that??

5. Nov 20, 2007 #4
    Suppose that you are in three dimensions. You can use standard Cartesian coordinates [itex](x,y,z)[/itex] or spherical polar coordinates [itex](r,\theta,\phi)[/itex] to describe this three-dimensional space in a convenient manner.

To begin finding a solution to your problem, how are the coordinates [itex](r,\theta,\phi)[/itex] related to the coordinates [itex](x,y,z)[/itex]?

Now how are the basis vectors [itex]\{\hat{e}_x,\hat{e}_y,\hat{e}_z\}[/itex] for the Cartesian coordinate system related to the basis vectors [itex]\{\hat{e}_r,\hat{e}_\theta,\hat{e}_\phi\}[/itex] of the spherical polar coordinate system?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?