1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operations on a group

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An operation of a group G on a set S is a function G X S [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] S satisfying:

1. es = s [tex]\forall[/tex]s [tex]\epsilon[/tex] S
    2. g(hs) = (gh)s [tex]\forall[/tex]g,h [tex]\epsilon[/tex] G, s[tex]\epsilon[/tex] S

If s [tex]\epsilon[/tex] S, show that the stabilizer of s, defined as the set:
    {g [tex]\epsilon[/tex] G | gs = s}
    is a subgroup of G

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well from that definition it seems that g must be the identity element of G. Is a set consisting of just the identity not just a group? And since G is a group it includes the identity, thus the set g: {e} is a subgroup of G?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i'm not sure about that...

my group theory isn't the best, but... i think the identity will surely be a part (from the defintion), but also potentially other elements as well

for example consider the group of all 2D rotations, i'm not 100% sure how to put it together, but imagine the set as a square, defined only by the location of its 4 vertices, only rotations of n*(pi/2) take the square into itself... i think the the stabiliser group in this case, then represents the rotational symmetry group of the square...

so i think the key is to show something along the lines of:
    - the identity must be in the stabiliser group, and if f,h are in the stabiliser group, so is fh & h^{-1}

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  4. Nov 6, 2009 #3

lanedance

Homework Helper

once again expanded above

5. Nov 6, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the set of all g obviously contains e but there may be other members of G that "fix" s. Remember that s is NOT itself a member of G. You can only say that es= s because of (1) in your definition of the action of G on S.

(1) tells you that e is in this set and (2) tells you that the operation is associative. Now you need to prove that this set is closed under the operation: if gs= s and hs= s, then (gh)s= s. You also need to prove that if gs= s, then g-1s= s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook