Stabilizer of an Element in Group Operations | Group Theory Homework

In summary: D rotations, I'm not 100% sure how to put it together, but imagine the set as a square, defined only by the location of its 4 vertices, only rotations of n*(pi/2) take the square into itself... i think the the stabiliser group in this case, then represents the rotational symmetry group of the square...so i think the key is to show something along the lines of:- the identity must be in the stabiliser group, and if
hitmeoff

Homework Statement

An operation of a group G on a set S is a function G X S [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] S satisfying:

1. es = s [tex]\forall[/tex]s [tex]\epsilon[/tex] S
2. g(hs) = (gh)s [tex]\forall[/tex]g,h [tex]\epsilon[/tex] G, s[tex]\epsilon[/tex] S

If s [tex]\epsilon[/tex] S, show that the stabilizer of s, defined as the set:
{g [tex]\epsilon[/tex] G | gs = s}
is a subgroup of G

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well from that definition it seems that g must be the identity element of G. Is a set consisting of just the identity not just a group? And since G is a group it includes the identity, thus the set g: {e} is a subgroup of G?

Physics news on Phys.org
i'm not sure about that...

my group theory isn't the best, but... i think the identity will surely be a part (from the defintion), but also potentially other elements as well

for example consider the group of all 2D rotations, I'm not 100% sure how to put it together, but imagine the set as a square, defined only by the location of its 4 vertices, only rotations of n*(pi/2) take the square into itself... i think the the stabiliser group in this case, then represents the rotational symmetry group of the square...

so i think the key is to show something along the lines of:
- the identity must be in the stabiliser group, and if f,h are in the stabiliser group, so is fh & h^{-1}

Last edited:
once again expanded above

hitmeoff said:

Homework Statement

An operation of a group G on a set S is a function G X S [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] S satisfying:

1. es = s [tex]\forall[/tex]s [tex]\epsilon[/tex] S
2. g(hs) = (gh)s [tex]\forall[/tex]g,h [tex]\epsilon[/tex] G, s[tex]\epsilon[/tex] S

If s [tex]\epsilon[/tex] S, show that the stabilizer of s, defined as the set:
{g [tex]\epsilon[/tex] G | gs = s}
is a subgroup of G

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well from that definition it seems that g must be the identity element of G. Is a set consisting of just the identity not just a group? And since G is a group it includes the identity, thus the set g: {e} is a subgroup of G?
No, the set of all g obviously contains e but there may be other members of G that "fix" s. Remember that s is NOT itself a member of G. You can only say that es= s because of (1) in your definition of the action of G on S.

(1) tells you that e is in this set and (2) tells you that the operation is associative. Now you need to prove that this set is closed under the operation: if gs= s and hs= s, then (gh)s= s. You also need to prove that if gs= s, then g-1s= s.

1. What is a group in mathematics?

A group in mathematics is a set of elements together with a binary operation that satisfies four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and inverses. It is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and is used to study symmetry, transformations, and patterns.

2. What are the different types of operations on a group?

The three main types of operations on a group are addition, multiplication, and composition. Addition and multiplication are the most commonly used operations in groups, while composition is used in groups that represent transformations or symmetries.

3. How do you determine if a set is a group?

To determine if a set is a group, you need to check if the four properties of closure, associativity, identity, and inverses are satisfied for the given set and operation. If all four properties are satisfied, then the set is a group.

4. What is the identity element in a group?

The identity element in a group is the element that, when combined with any other element in the group using the given operation, gives back the same element. For example, the identity element in a group using addition is 0, while the identity element in a group using multiplication is 1.

5. Can a group have more than one identity element?

No, a group can only have one identity element. This is because if there were multiple identity elements, then the group would not satisfy the property of uniqueness, which states that there can only be one element with a specific property in a set.