1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operations on sets

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove the following statement:

A is a subset of B if and only if (X/B) is a union of (X/A)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't understand how to prove these types of problems. I was thinking about proving the contrapositive, which would be If A is not a subset of B, then (X/B) is not a union of (X/A), right?

Could someone please show me what to do?

Thank you very much
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2008 #2
    I don't quite understand what you mean when you say X/B is not a union of X/A. Can you clarify please?
  4. Mar 7, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do "(X/B) is a union of (X/A)" and "(X/B) is not a union of (X/A)" mean? I only know "union" as an operation on two sets.

Oh, and the contrapositive of "if A then B" is NOT "if not A then not B". That is the inverse and the truth of one does not imply the truth of the other. The contrapositive is "If not B then not A" and, here, that would be "If (X/B) is not a union of (X/A) then A is not a subset of B" though I still don't know what "union" means here!

Is it possible that you just meant to have "subset" again? "If X is a subset of B then (X\B) is a subset of (X\A)" is a true statement. (Notice also that I have reversed "/" to "\". "/" implies a division (which is not defined for sets) while "\" is the "set difference".

If that is true, that you want to prove "If X is a subset of B then (X\B) is a subset of (X\A)", I would not try to prove the contrapositive but prove it directly. The standard way to prove "P is a subset of Q" is to say "if x is a member of P" and prove, using whatever properties P and Q have, "therefore x is a member of q".

Here, you would start "if x is a member of (X\B), then x is a member of X but x is NOT a member of B" (using, of course, the definition of "X\B"). Now, what does that, together with the fact that A is a subset of B, tell you about whether or not x is a member of A?
  5. Mar 7, 2008 #4
    Thank you very much

By "union" I ment that "X is such that x is an element of A or x is an element of B" Could you please show me what to do in this case?

Thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?