Operator algebra with commutators

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of [A*A,A] using the commutator [A,A*] = 1 and the standard rules of linear algebra, operator algebra, and quantum mechanics. After some discussion and clarification, it is determined that [A*A,A] = -A.
chill_factor

Homework Statement

Consider the operator A and its Hermitian adjoint A*.

If [A,A*] = 1, evaluate: [A*A,A]

Homework Equations

standard rules of linear algebra, operator algebra and quantum mechanics

The Attempt at a Solution

[A,A*] = AA* - A*A = 1

A*A = (1+AA*)

[A*A,A] = AA*A - A*AA = ??

How do I even start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi chill_factor,

If we expand [A*A,A], we obtain A*AA-AA*A. Do you see a way to factor this that might allow you to use the [A,A*] commutator?

jmcelve said:
Hi chill_factor,

If we expand [A*A,A], we obtain A*AA-AA*A. Do you see a way to factor this that might allow you to use the [A,A*] commutator?

Thank you for answering. I think I see it. There is an A on the right side of both the A*AA and AA*A operators so A*AA - AA*A = (A*A-AA*)A = -[A,A*]A = -A. Is that right?

I guess my mistake was writing the commutator out incorrectly.

chill_factor said:
Thank you for answering. I think I see it. There is an A on the right side of both the A*AA and AA*A operators so A*AA - AA*A = (A*A-AA*)A = -[A,A*]A = -A. Is that right?

I guess my mistake was writing the commutator out incorrectly.

Yep. You've got it. Nice work.

The commutator [A,A*] represents the non-commutativity of the operators A and A*. This means that their order matters in the product, and so we cannot simply rearrange them as we would with ordinary numbers.

To evaluate [A*A,A], we can use the standard rules of operator algebra and the definition of the adjoint operator to simplify the expression. First, we can rewrite A*A as (A*)^2, and then use the definition of the adjoint to rewrite [A*A,A] as [A*^2,A]. From there, we can use the definition of the commutator [X,Y] = XY-YX to expand the expression and simplify it. Ultimately, we should end up with [A*A,A] = A*^2A-A*A* = A.

In summary, [A*A,A] = A represents the commutator of the operators A and its adjoint A*, which is not surprising given that they are Hermitian conjugates of each other.

1. What is an operator algebra?

An operator algebra is a mathematical structure that deals with the study of linear operators on a vector space. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to analyze and manipulate operators, which are mathematical entities that map elements of a vector space to other elements of the same space.

2. What are commutators in operator algebra?

Commutators in operator algebra refer to the operation of taking the difference between two operators, denoted by [A,B]. This operation is similar to the concept of the commutator in group theory, but in operator algebra, it is used to study the non-commutativity of operators.

3. How are commutators used in operator algebra?

Commutators are used to study the non-commutativity of operators and to define important concepts such as the Lie bracket, which is used to measure the difference between two operators. They also have applications in quantum mechanics, functional analysis, and other areas of mathematics and physics.

4. What is the significance of commutators in operator algebra?

The significance of commutators in operator algebra lies in their ability to capture the non-commutativity of operators, which is a crucial concept in many areas of mathematics and physics. They also play a key role in the study of Lie algebras, which have important applications in group theory, differential geometry, and mathematical physics.

5. Are there any additional properties of commutators in operator algebra?

Yes, there are several additional properties of commutators in operator algebra, including linearity, bilinearity, skew-symmetry, and Jacobi identity. These properties are important in understanding the behavior of commutators and their applications in different areas of mathematics and physics.