Simplifying Operator and Dirac Algebra for Kets

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with operators and Kets, specifically transforming the operator A into A^\dagger. The suggested solution of using the spectral theorem is deemed incorrect as it results in a scalar instead of an operator. A detail is mentioned where the operator is multiplied by a Ket, but this does not change the issue at hand.
MikeBuonasera
Hi Guys, I am facing a problem playing around with some operators and Kets, would like some help!

I have [tex]\langle \Psi | A+A^\dagger | \Psi \rangle .A [/tex]

Could someone simplify it? Especially is there a way to change the last operator A into A^\dagger?

The way I thought about this is:
[tex]
=(\langle \Psi |A | \Psi \rangle + \langle \Psi | A^\dagger | \Psi \rangle).A
=(\langle \Psi |A A | \Psi \rangle + \langle \Psi | A^\dagger A | \Psi \rangle)
=\langle \Psi | I | \Psi \rangle
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
MikeBuonasera said:
[tex]
=(\langle \Psi |A | \Psi \rangle + \langle \Psi | A^\dagger | \Psi \rangle).A
=(\langle \Psi |A A | \Psi \rangle + \langle \Psi | A^\dagger A | \Psi \rangle)
=\langle \Psi | I | \Psi \rangle
[/tex]

That's obviously wrong.

You have a scalar times an operator and you get a scalar.

You can't take the operator inside the bra-ket.

Off the top of my head you might like to expand A in terms of the spectral theorem ie ∑ ai |bi><bi| - assuming it applies of course.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
That's obviously wrong.

You have a scalar times an operator and you get a scalar.

You can't take the operator inside the bra-ket.

Off the top of my head you might like to expand A in terms of the spectral theorem ie ∑ ai |bi><bi| - assuming it applies of course.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks Bill. Actually there is a detail that I omitted which may help:
(⟨Ψ|A|Ψ⟩+⟨Ψ|A†|Ψ⟩).A|Ψ⟩
Does this make any difference?

thanks

MikeBuonasera said:
Thanks Bill. Actually there is a detail that I omitted which may help:
(⟨Ψ|A|Ψ⟩+⟨Ψ|A†|Ψ⟩).A|Ψ⟩
Does this make any difference?

Same problem - only you have a scalar times a vector.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is an operator in the context of Dirac algebra?

An operator in Dirac algebra refers to a mathematical object that acts on a vector space, transforming a vector into another vector in the same space. It can be represented by a matrix or a linear transformation.

2. Why is Dirac algebra important in quantum mechanics?

Dirac algebra provides a mathematical framework for describing the behavior of quantum systems, particularly particles with spin. It allows for the manipulation and calculation of observables, such as position and momentum, in a consistent and rigorous manner.

3. What is the relationship between operators and observables in Dirac algebra?

In Dirac algebra, operators are associated with observables, which are physical quantities that can be measured. The eigenvalues of an operator represent the possible outcomes of a measurement of the corresponding observable.

4. Can Dirac algebra be used to solve quantum mechanical problems?

Yes, Dirac algebra is an essential tool for solving quantum mechanical problems. It allows for the calculation of probabilities and expectation values of observables, and it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

5. How does the Dirac bracket differ from the Poisson bracket in classical mechanics?

The Dirac bracket, also known as the anticommutator bracket, is a generalization of the Poisson bracket in classical mechanics. While the Poisson bracket deals with functions of position and momentum, the Dirac bracket deals with operators in quantum mechanics. It takes into account the non-commutativity of operators and plays a crucial role in the quantization of classical mechanics.