1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operator dependent functions in QM

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [tex]\widehat{A}\Psi(x) = \Psi(x + b)[/tex], where [tex]b[/tex] is a constant.

2. Relevant equations

Given: [tex]\widehat{A} = exp(b[d/dx])[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I'm supposed to write out the function as a power series expansion, though I'm not sure what I am exactly to do after this. What is (d/dx) of? What information do the above expressions convey?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write out a taylor expansion of psi(x+b) around x. Now compare that with the power series expansion of A applied to psi(x). The derivative operators will operate on psi(x). Don't you see a similarity in the two sides?

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    Pardon my ignorance, but what would I be expanding since I am not explicitly given a function for [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex]?

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write them out without assuming you know psi(x). The first derivative of psi(x) is psi'(x), the second is psi''(x) etc etc.

6. Oct 14, 2009 #5
    Just to make sure my work is correct, would I get {[(b^n)/n!]*(d/dx)^n}*[tex]\Psi(x)[/tex]?

7. Oct 14, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, yeah. Isn't that the Taylor series of psi(x+b) expanded around x?

8. Oct 14, 2009 #7
    Okay, so I did it right. Though, I am curious about [tex]\Psi(x + b)[/tex]. If [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex] is an eigenstate of [tex]\widehat{A}[/tex], then the former is equal to some factor times [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex] right?

9. Oct 14, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the definition of an eigenstate alright, A(psi(x))=k*psi(x)=psi(x+b).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook