Operator Terminology: What Does the Asterisk Mean?

In summary, the asterisk means that the complex conjugation of a function is being used. When substituting the psi function into the expectation value, the asterisk is used to denote the complex conjugation. When expanding the eigenfunctions in the position basis, the asterisk is used to denote the complex conjugation of the eigenfunction.
Nezva
img286.png

What does the asterisk mean?

Physics news on Phys.org
The asterisk stand for complex conjugation.

In the case of [tex]\Psi=c[/tex]1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1[tex] + c[/tex]2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2[tex] + ... + c[/tex]n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

And the operator A(hat) => A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]1 = a1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1; A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]2 = a2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2; A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]n = an[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

Calculate: [tex]\left\langle\Psi\left|A(hat)\right|\right\Psi\rangle[/tex]

Nezva said:
Calculate: [tex]\left\langle\Psi\left|A(hat)\right|\right\Psi\rangle[/tex]

Are you giving me a pop quiz?:rolleyes:

You need to show us an attempt in order to receive help with your homework problem. Simply stating the problem does not qualify as an attempt.

I'm trying to substitute the psi function into the expectation value. I do not understand how to use the asterisk in this case. Especially if the constants in the function are complex... I'm trying to understand the concept and am unsure what to ask.

[tex]\int[/tex] c*n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n[tex] \left| A(hat) \right| c[/tex]n[tex] \Psi[/tex]n

Nezva said:
I'm trying to substitute the psi function into the expectation value. I do not understand how to use the asterisk in this case. Especially if the constants in the function are complex... I'm trying to understand the concept and am unsure what to ask.

Okay, well when you say:

Nezva said:
In the case of [tex]\Psi=c[/tex]1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1[tex] + c[/tex]2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2[tex] + ... + c[/tex]n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

Do you mean [itex]|\Psi\rangle=c_1|\psi_1\rangle+c_2|\psi_2\rangle+\ldots+c_n|\psi_n\rangle[/itex] (abstract form), or do you mean [itex]\Psi(\textbf{r})=c_1\psi_1(\textbf{r})+c_2\psi_2(\textbf{r})+\ldots+c_n\psi_n(\textbf{r})[/itex] (all the wavefunctions are expanded in the position basis)?

More importantly, what do you know about [itex]\{|\psi_1\rangle,|\psi_2\rangle,\ldots,|\psi_n\rangle\}[/itex]? For example, are they orthogonal? Normalized?

The [tex]\Psi[/tex]is linear combination of n orthonormal eigenfunctions of the linear operator, A(hat).

What effect does a normalized function vs a 'orthonormal' function have on the 'expectation value'? Sorry I'm being thrown into this terminology very rudely. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Orthonormal means that the eigenfunctions are both orthogonal and normalized to unity.

In abstract form this means that [itex]\langle\psi_i|\psi_j\rangle=\delta_{ij}[/itex], where [tex]\delta_{ij}=\left\{\begin{array}{lr} 0, & i\neq j \\ 1, & i=j \end{array}\right.[/itex] is the Kronecker delta.

When you expand the eigenfunctions in the position basis (i.e. [itex]\psi(\textbf{r})=\langle\hat{\mathbf{r}}|\psi\rangle[/itex]), you get

[tex]\langle\psi_i|\psi_j\rangle=\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\psi_i^{*}(\textbf{r})\psi_j(\textbf{r})d\tau=\delta_{ij}[/tex]Start by calculating [itex]\hat{A}|\Psi\rangle[/itex]...what do you get for that?

What is the asterisk symbol used for in operator terminology?

The asterisk symbol is used in operator terminology to represent multiplication. It indicates that the two numbers or variables on either side of the symbol should be multiplied together.

Can the asterisk symbol be used for other operations besides multiplication?

Yes, the asterisk symbol can also be used to represent exponentiation in some programming languages and mathematical notation. In this case, it indicates that the number or variable preceding the symbol should be raised to the power of the number or variable following the symbol.

What is the difference between an asterisk and a star symbol?

In operator terminology, the asterisk symbol and the star symbol are often used interchangeably to represent multiplication. However, in some programming languages, the star symbol may have a different meaning, such as indicating a pointer or reference to another variable.

Is the asterisk symbol used in any other contexts besides operator terminology?

Yes, the asterisk symbol has various uses in different fields. In linguistics, it can indicate a footnote or a wildcard character in searching. In typography, it can be used as a bullet point or to indicate a correction. In computer science, it can represent a comment in code or a placeholder in a command line interface.

How can I remember which symbol represents multiplication?

A common mnemonic for remembering the use of the asterisk symbol is "Asterisk means multiply." Another way to remember is by visualizing the symbol as two crossed lines, which can represent the two numbers being multiplied together.