How do Hermitian operators affect normalized vectors?

In summary: The only problem I have is still how to find a numerical value for c and |2>, but I guess that's not what the problem is asking for. Thanks again, both of you :smile: In summary, the conversation discusses the form of applying a Hermitian operator B to a normalized vector |1>, which is generally expressed as B|1> = b|1> + c|2>. The question raised is why B|1> must have this form and what happens if |1> is not an eigenstate of B. It is explained that an operator can turn a vector into another vector in a different space, and if the space is spanned by |1> and |2>, then
einai
Operators and eigenstates (updated with new question)

Hi, I encountered the following HW problem which really confuses me. Could anyone please explain it to me? Thank you so much!

The result of applying a Hermitian operator B to a normalized vector |1> is generally of the form:

B|1> = b|1> + c|2>

where b and c are numerical coefficients and |2> is a normalized vector orthogonal to |1>.

My question is: Why B|1> must have the above form? Does it mean if |1> is an eigenstate of B, then b=!0 and c=0? But what if |1> is not an eigenstate of B?

I also need to find the expectation value of B (<1|B|1> ), but I think I got this part:

<1|B|1> = <1|b|1> + <1|c|2> = b<1|1> + c<1|2> = b

since |1> and |2> are orthogonal and they're both normalized. Does that look right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by einai
My question is: Why B|1> must have the above form? Does it mean if |1> is an eigenstate of B, then b=!0 and c=0? But what if |1> is not an eigenstate of B?

an operator takes a vector in a space and turns it into another vector in (not necesarily) another space. if that space is spanned by the vectors |1> and |2>m then b|1> + c|2> is the general form a vector in that space. if you don't know how B looks like, then you have to assume this general form. If you find something oput about B, like |1> being an eigenstate, then c must be 0 as the two base vectors should be orthonormal.

I also need to find the expectation value of B (<1|B|1> ), but I think I got this part:

since |1> and |2> are orthogonal and they're both normalized. Does that look right?

you're absolutely right. trust yourself.

Why B|1> must have the above form?

Because we can "compute" b, c, and |2>.

You know how to compute b already; b = <1|B|1>. Can you hazard a guess as to how to compute c and |2>?

Thank you very much, Sonty and Hurkyl. Now I understand the question. However, I have another one -

I'm trying to find <1|(B-<B>)2|1>. I broke it up like this:

<1|(B-<B>)2|1> = <1|B2|1> - <1|2bB|1> + <1|b2|1>, since we already found that <B> = b.

<1|2bB|1> = 2b <1|B|1> = 2b2
<1|b2|1> = b2

But I'm not too sure about <1|B2|1>...should I do something like this ? (Note: b, c are real constants)

<1|B2|1> = <1|B* B|1>
= (<1|b + <2|c)(b|1> + c|2>)
=<1|b2|1> + <1|bc|2> + <2|cb|1> + <2|c2|2>
= b2 + c2 (since the orthogonal terms cancel)

So <1|(B-<B>)2|1>
= b2 + c2 - 2b2 + b2
= c2

That looks right.

Incidentally, you don't need to use hermiticity for this one...

<1|(B^2)|1> = <1|BB|1> = <1|B(b|1>) = b<1|B|1> = b^2

so if you ever work with a nonhermitian transformation, you can still compute things like this.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
<1|(B^2)|1> = <1|BB|1> = <1|B(b|1>) = b<1|B|1> = b^2

Wait...I think my answer doesn't look right. You got <1|(B^2)|1> = b^2, but I got

<1|B^2|1> = <1|B* B|1>
= (<1|b + <2|c)(b|1> + c|2> )
=<1|b^2|1> + <1|bc|2> + <2|cb|1> + <2|c^2|2>
= b^2 + c^2

Hm...what's wrong with my way of doing it then? Thanks again :smile:

Originally posted by einai
Hm...what's wrong with my way of doing it then? Thanks again :smile:

nothing. it's just that Hurkyl is sometimes in a hurry and skips some terms :smile:
the thing I wonder about is when did we say that <B>=b=<1|B|1>? I have this strange feeling that <B>=b+c...

Somehow, when writing my post, I substituted into my head another problem where |1> was an eigenvector of B with eigenvalue b. :frown:

For your problem, hermiticity is needed because you don't know what B|2> is. Silly me!

Originally posted by Sonty
nothing. it's just that Hurkyl is sometimes in a hurry and skips some terms :smile:
the thing I wonder about is when did we say that <B>=b=<1|B|1>? I have this strange feeling that <B>=b+c...

I got <B> like the following, and <B> is defined to be <1|B|1> in the problem :).

B|1> = b|1> + c|2>

I hope it's right...

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Somehow, when writing my post, I substituted into my head another problem where |1> was an eigenvector of B with eigenvalue b. :frown:

For your problem, hermiticity is needed because you don't know what B|2> is. Silly me!

Yeah, I did silly things all the time. But thanks though, now I understand this problem a lot better.

What is an operator?

An operator is a mathematical symbol that represents a specific operation to be performed on a mathematical expression or function. In the context of quantum mechanics, operators are used to describe physical quantities such as position, momentum, and energy.

What are eigenstates?

Eigenstates, also known as eigenfunctions, are the possible states that a quantum mechanical system can be in. They are represented by mathematical functions and correspond to the measurable properties of a system, such as energy or spin.

What is the significance of operators and eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Operators and eigenstates are fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics. Operators allow us to describe the behavior of physical quantities, while eigenstates represent the possible outcomes of measurements on a quantum system. They are essential for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

How are operators and eigenstates related?

Operators and eigenstates are closely related. Operators act on eigenstates to produce another eigenstate. The eigenvalue of an operator corresponds to the outcome of a measurement on the eigenstate. In other words, eigenstates are the "building blocks" of operators.

What is the difference between a Hermitian operator and a non-Hermitian operator?

A Hermitian operator is a type of operator that has the property of being self-adjoint, meaning that its eigenstates are orthogonal to each other. This property is important because it ensures that the eigenvalues of a Hermitian operator are real and the eigenstates form a complete basis. Non-Hermitian operators do not have this property and may have complex eigenvalues and non-orthogonal eigenstates.