Operators and expectation values.

In summary, the question asks if a=-a* holds for any real function f. Assuming hermiticity, the answer is yes. However, the range of integration must be symmetric, and the textbook provides an example of solving the problem using matrix notation and the completeness relation.
mrquantum
I'm stuck on a question in atkins molecular quantum mechanics 4e (self test 1.9).

If (Af)* = -Af, show that <A> = 0 for any real function f.

I think you are expected to use the completeness relation sum,s { |s><s| = 1.

I'm sure the answer is simple but I'm stumped.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are A and f?

I'm assuming A is any real or complex operator for which the relation holds and f is any real function.

And what is <f> ?

In QM <f> would be the expectation value of an operator f sandwitched between two states. But I guess you have something in mind like ∫ dx f(x)

Sorry, my mistake. Need to show that the expectation value of the operator A is zero. <f|A|f> = 0

Ok: If

[tex](Af)^\ast = -Af[/tex]

show that

[tex]\langle f|A|f\rangle = 0 [/tex]

for any real function f.

Yes.

Does that make sense?

I think something is missing.

What I can show immediately is

[tex] a = \int dx \, fAf = \int dx \, f (-Af)^\ast = -a^\ast[/tex]

and therefore that a must be purely imaginary.

Note that I ommited the range of integration which must be symmetric [-L,L]

http://www.kinetics.nsc.ru/chichinin/books/spectroscopy/Atkins05.pdf

That's a link to the textbook. Self-test 1.9. The question doesn't really specify anything else.

As I said, something is missing. In the context of Atkins 1.9 only hermitean operators a considered.

1) so by the singe line above [itex]\text{Re}\,a = 0[/itex]
2) by hermiticity [itex]\text{Im}\,a = 0[/itex]

Therefore [itex]a=0[/itex]

Why don't you try rereading the problem yourself and then state the problem statement here again with all the relevant information? You might notice you've made mistakes or overlooked some important info.

Thanks vela. This isn't actually a homework assignment, I'm just working my way through the textbook. I got the same result as Tom, (Af)* = (Af*)* = -Af = -Af* => a = -a* => a = 0 given hermiticity. This result is actually stated in the book in one of the worked-through examples. I was wondering if somebody knew how to solve the problem in the context of the textbook i.e. using matrix notation and the completeness relation. Do you think the textbook intends that the problem be solved that way? I know atkins mqm4 has got a reputation for not being overly clear.

Last edited:

1. What are operators in quantum mechanics?

Operators in quantum mechanics are mathematical representations of physical observables, such as position, momentum, and energy. They act on quantum states to give the expectation value of the observable.

2. How are operators related to expectation values?

Operators and expectation values are closely related in quantum mechanics. The expectation value of an observable is calculated by taking the inner product of the quantum state with the operator representing that observable.

3. How are operators used in quantum mechanics?

Operators are used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of physical systems at the quantum level. They are essential for calculating the probabilities of outcomes for measurements of physical observables.

4. Can operators be represented as matrices?

Yes, operators can be represented as matrices in quantum mechanics. This allows for easier mathematical manipulation and calculation of expectation values.

5. What is the significance of expectation values in quantum mechanics?

Expectation values in quantum mechanics represent the average value of a physical observable for a given quantum state. They provide important information about the behavior of quantum systems and are used to make predictions about the outcomes of measurements.