1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operators and Hermiticity

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider two operators, A and B which satisfy:
    [A, B] = B ; B†B = 1 − A

A. Determine the hermiticity properties of A and B.
    B. Using the fact that | a = 0 > is an eigenstate of A, construct the other
    eigenstates of A.
    C. Suppose the eigenstates of A form a complete set. Determine if eigen-
    states of B can be constructed, and if so, determine the spectrum of the
    eigenstates of B.

2. Relevant equations

Condition for Hermiticity:

[tex] \int (A^{\dagger}\psi)^{*}\psi.dx = \int \psi^{*}A\psi.dx [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution[/b

Completely lost on this one. All I could think of was trying to work to the commutation relation from

[tex] \int \psi^{*} B^{\dagger}B\psi.dx [/tex]

but that just leads to a dead end. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's easy to show A = 1-BB is Hermitian. Just take the adjoint of both sides of the equation. B, I'm pretty sure, is anti-Hermitian, but I'm not sure how to show that.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. Aug 24, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

B is a ladder operator for A, isn't it? I don't think it's either Hermitian or anti-Hermitian.

5. Aug 24, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yup, you're right. :redface:

6. Aug 24, 2011 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Beer-monster, suppose A|a>=a|a>, i.e. |a> is an eigenvector of A with real eigenvalue a. vela already told you how to show A is hermitian. Use [A,B]=B to say something about the eigenvalue of B|a>. Give us some help here.

7. Aug 25, 2011 #6
    Okay, I guess I really need to study this stuff again because I'm lost.

I've tried taking the adjoint of A but am not quite sure what to do with it. I guess I just need to hash through the maths.

How did you see that B was a ladder operator, it not really clear to me.

8. Aug 25, 2011 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What does it mean for an operator to be Hermitian?

9. Aug 25, 2011 #8
    That is satisfies the condition that I mentioned above.

[tex]\int (A^{\dagger}\psi)^{*}\psi.dx = \int \psi^{*}A\psi.dx[/tex]

and also the quantities of the operators are all real.

10. Aug 25, 2011 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's not quite it. If you have two operators [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{A}^\dagger[/itex] that satisfy[tex]\int (\hat{A}^{\dagger}\psi_l)^*\psi_r\,dx = \int \psi_l^*\hat{A}\psi_r\,dx[/tex]for all pairs [itex]\psi_l[/itex] and [itex]\psi_r[/itex] from the Hilbert space, you would say [itex]\hat{A}^\dagger[/itex] is the Hermitian adjoint of [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]. Now how are the operator and its adjoint related if it's Hermitian?

11. Aug 25, 2011 #10
    The operator and its adjoint are equal if it is Hermitian?

12. Aug 25, 2011 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's right. So you want to calculate [itex]\hat{A}^\dagger[/itex] and show it equals [itex]\hat{A}[/itex]. You should find rules in your textbook on how to calculate the adjoint of products and sums, which you will find helpful.

13. Aug 25, 2011 #12
    I see it now. Here I was adding in kets and bras because I've often found it useful with commutator stuff.

The [tex]B^\dagger[/tex] becomes B and vice versa would give [tex]BB^\dagger[/tex] but because factors swap round in an adjoint you get what you started with.

I'm still not sure how you worked out B was a ladder operator. Though I had guessed something along those lines as ladder operators were the only way I could think to get an eigenspectrum with no wavefunction. i.e. the question gave it away.

14. Aug 26, 2011 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guessed B was a ladder operator because I've seen a form like [A,B]=B before. That's the big reason. You can figure it out for yourself if you operate both sides on an eigenfunction of A, like I suggested in post #5. Or have you already figured that out?

15. Aug 27, 2011 #14
    Not yet. But I think it`s just a matter of beating my head against the maths and cracking out a textbook that goes over the mathematical manipulations of operators again.

Incidently, I noticed there was a mistake in my first post. The relation between B and A is:

[tex] B^{\dagger}B=1-A^{2} [/tex]

This shouldn't effect the results too much as I would imagine if A*A is Hermitian so A would be.

16. Aug 28, 2011 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Untrue, if A=i*I where I is the identity operator then A^2 is hermitian, but A isn't. You might have a bit more work to do on this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook