1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operators and order

1. Feb 18, 2007 #1

Lee

In my question I have to find what the commutation of a electrons kinetic and potentials energys are, in 3 Dimensions. I have started by finding the kinetic operator T and the potential energy from coloumbs law. I have then applied commutation brackets and I'm at the stage where I'm solving the commutation bracket for the x-direction. (and then apply symmetry for my 2 other axis) My question is, as we have to retain order when dealing with operators, how do I 'deal' with my

[tex]
    \newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }

xi \hbar \pd {} {x} {}
    [/tex]

I presume I can't just differentate the x as I need to preserver order, does this just sit like this till I can 'deal' with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In calculating commutators of differntial operators, it is convenient to apply th commutator on a "test function", which is is just som arbitrary function of x, y and z that must be removed at the very end of the calculation.

So if you have two operators A and B (which are differential operators) and you want to compute their commutator, just consider
    [tex] [A,B] f(x,y,z) = AB f(x,y,z) - BA f(x,y,z) [/tex]
    Apply all the derivatives and at the very end, remove the test function.

4. Feb 18, 2007 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can apply a commutation relation if you wanted to reverse the order.

But remember that "x" is an operator, not a function. So

[tex]
    \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x \neq 1
    [/tex]

Instead, it's supposed to be the operator

[tex]
    \psi(x, y, z, t) \rightarrow \frac{\partial (x \psi(x, y, z, t))}{\partial x}
    [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?