Operators: Do they carry units?

In summary, the question is asking if the Hamiltonian operator has units, and the consensus is that it does have units. The wavefunction, while generally treated as unitless, does have units when expanded into a basis. The momentum operator also has units. The Hamiltonian equation further confirms the existence of units for the Hamiltonian operator. In conclusion, dimensional analysis is important in quantum mechanics and the Hamiltonian operator does have units.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi all.

The title says it all: Say we have an operator - e.g. the Hamiltonian. Does this have units? I.e. does the Hamiltonian have units of Joules or nothing?

Personally I think it is nothing, since it is an operator, but I need confirmation.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you "apply" the operator to a wavefunction you "get" (some) energy . If the operator has no units then the wavefunction must have units of energy. But if you apply another operator to the same function you'll get another physical quantity... so the wave function cannot have units... the operator must came with the units "in it" :smile:

You don't need this "deduction" actually. Just look at the expression for Hamiltonian for example. It has Plank's constant and mass and length...all these have units

The wavefunction \psi(x) is NOT dimensionless, it does have units. In 1-D, when you integrate the absolute value squared of \psi you get 1: so, the dimension of the wavefunction must be 1/sqrt[length]. In 3-D, it similarly must have units of 1/[length]^(3/2).

Operators have units indeed. The momentum operator has units of momentum, etc. etc.

nasu said:
so the wave function cannot have units...
You are right, this statement is not true and it does not follow from the previous arguments.
Thank you.

The wave function only has units when it is expanded into a basis; [itex]\psi(x)=\left<x | \psi \right>[/itex] has the units given by Borgwai, but the abstract wave function [itex]|\psi \rangle [/itex] is generally treated as unitless.

gabbagabbahey said:
The wave function only has units when it is expanded into a basis; [itex]\psi(x)=\left<x | \psi \right>[/itex] has the units given by Borgwai, but the abstract wave function [itex]|\psi \rangle [/itex] is generally treated as unitless.

I'd refer to the ket [itex]|\psi \rangle [/itex] as a state vector, not a wave function (just semantics).

But indeed, [itex]|\psi \rangle [/itex] can be viewed as dimensionless, whereas [itex]|x \rangle [/itex] has the dimension of [length]^(-1/2). This is the natural choice. I don't think there's a necessity of choosing the dual of a ket to have the same dimension as the ket itself: expressions whose dimension is clear always seem to contain both a ket and a bra (I'll be happy to see if someone knows a counter example!).

borgwal said:
The wavefunction \psi(x) is NOT dimensionless, it does have units. In 1-D, when you integrate the absolute value squared of \psi you get 1: so, the dimension of the wavefunction must be 1/sqrt[length]. In 3-D, it similarly must have units of 1/[length]^(3/2).

Operators have units indeed. The momentum operator has units of momentum, etc. etc.

Thanks borgwal

Another way to realize this (I just thought about this) is to look at Schrödingers time-independent equation: H \psi = E \psi.

Yes, I think that's what nasu meant also: the units of H follow from H \psi=E\psi.

Niles said:
Say we have an operator - e.g. the Hamiltonian. Does this have units?
As others have noted, of course they do. Even quantum mechanics is subject to dimensional analysis and had dang well be dimensionally correct. If we weren't careful about units, we physicists would be little different from (shudder) mathematicians. (D H quickly beats a hasty retreat to don a flame-retardant asbestos suit)

[itex]
\sqrt\{\f(x)}= \sqrt\{\g(x)}
[/itex]

1. What are operators and what role do they play in scientific calculations?

Operators are symbols or words used in scientific calculations to perform various mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. They are essential in manipulating numerical data and solving complex equations.

2. Do all operators have associated units?

No, not all operators have associated units. Operators such as addition and subtraction do not have any specific units, while operators such as multiplication and division can result in units being applied to the final answer.

3. How do operators affect the units of a calculation?

Operators can affect the units of a calculation by either maintaining the original units, changing the units, or canceling out units. The specific effect depends on the type of operator used and the units of the numbers involved.

4. Can operators be used with non-numerical data?

No, operators are primarily used with numerical data in scientific calculations. They are not applicable to non-numerical data such as text or images.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for using operators in scientific calculations?

Yes, there are certain rules and guidelines for using operators in scientific calculations, such as the order of operations (PEMDAS), which dictates the sequence in which operators should be applied. Additionally, it is important to pay attention to the units being used and ensure they are consistent throughout the calculation.