1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Operators - semantics

1. Apr 20, 2005 #1
    I'm just looking at another quantum computation question. It is stated like so:

The operators Y and Z on [tex]C^2[/tex] are defined by:

[tex]Y|0\rangle =i|1\rangle ; Y|1\rangle = -i|0\rangle[/tex]
    [tex]Z|0\rangle = |0\rangle ; Z|1\rangle = -|1\rangle[/tex]

Write Z in diagonal form
    Write Y in Dirac form with respect to the basis [tex]\{ 0\rangle , |1\rangle\}[/tex]

Now, I'm confusing myself something silly. I'm under the impression that the diagonal form of an operator is given by:

[tex]A=\sum \lambda_{n}|n\rangle\langle n|[/tex]

where [tex]|n\rangle[/tex] are the eigenvectors and [tex]\lambda_n[/tex] are the eigenvalues of A.

But I would also take this to be the Dirac form, so I'm clearly missing something.

The eigenvalues of Z are clearly [tex]\{1,-1\}[/tex] with eigenvectors [tex]\{ |0\rangle ,|1\rangle\}[/tex], so the diagonal form is [tex]Z=|0\rangle\langle 0|-|1\rangle\langle 1|[/tex].

I suppose my question breaks down to 'What is meant by the Dirac form of an operator?'

Any hints?

Edited to remove me being stupid and working out eigenvectors incorrectly.

Edit: Or, by Dirac form of an operator, do they mean the matrix representation which, for Y, is given by:

[tex]Y=\left(\begin{array}{cc}0&-i\\i&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2005 #2
    My guess is that by "diagonal form" they mean write Z as a diagonal matrix. And by "Dirac form" they mean write Y as a sum of projection operators as you did for Z. But I agree with you, in that I would say the "Dirac Form" version of Z written in terms of eigenvectors is also in "diagonal form".

4. May 26, 2005 #3
    To anyone who's remotely interested, it transpires that given an operator, A, in matrix respresentation, then the Dirac form of the operator is:

[tex]\hat A=\sum_{ij} A_{ij} |i\rangle\langle j|[/tex]

and given the eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_i[/itex] and eigenvectors [itex]|\lambda_i\rangle[/itex] of an operator, the diagonal representation is (of course):

[tex]\hat A = \sum_i \lambda_i |\lambda_i\rangle\langle\lambda_i |[/tex]

As a 'learning point', note that the Dirac form of an operator is identical to the diagonal form for a diagonal matrix. An obvious result, but perhaps it will be useful for others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?