Opinion about STONY Brook String Theory

In summary: Other top schools for string theory include UBC in Vancouver, Durham, Oxford, Amsterdam, and Edinburgh. However, Stony Brook's program stands out for its focus on gauge/gravity duality, which is an area of particular interest to you. Overall, Stony Brook is a highly recommended option for your PhD studies in theoretical physics.
llorgos
Hi guys,

I am ready to apply for PhD and one of my targets is STONY Brook (actually the only one in the USA since it won't require me to take any tests).

Background:

a) Undergrad at Lancaster University, BSc Theo. Physics
b) Master's degree in Theo. Physics UAM/IFT in Madrid under scholarship.

I am a final year master's student working on Holographic Renormalization for non-conformal branes (my thesis) and taking courses like d=2 conformal field theory, string theory, standard model 2 (anomalies, 2 loop processes, neutrinos), quantum field theory 3 (non-pertub. stuff), etc.

I have had courses in AdS/CFT, Holographic Renorm. etc in the Gauge/Gravity duality workshop in Korea this summer, I was provided full funding to attend a similar workshop in Cambridge a while ago, I ll go to the String Winter School at CERN and other stuff. Also, I will take a course in Black Hole information, fast scrumblers and firewalls

Question:

How good school is STONY Brook in general? String-wise and its reputation in the theo physics community as well. The Yang Institute for Theo. Physics? I know there work guys like M. Douglas. Job perpectives? I also might have an offer from UBC in Vancouver String Group, and thinking for Durham, Oxford, Amsterdam (impossible people say) and maybe Edinbourgh.

Although I am doing gauge/gravity duality now, I am interested in all aspects of string theory.

Please opinions! Or any other proposals! Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Stony Brook University is a great school for theoretical physics, particularly string theory. The university has a well-regarded Yang Institute for Theoretical Physics, which is home to several prominent string theorists, including Michael Douglas and Cumrun Vafa. The university has an excellent reputation in the theoretical physics community and its faculty are well respected in the field. The job prospects for graduates of the university's physics program are very good, with graduates often going on to work in research institutions, government agencies, and industry.

What is the STONY Brook String Theory?

The STONY Brook String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to unify the four fundamental forces of nature (gravitation, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force) by modeling them as vibrations of tiny one-dimensional strings.

What makes the STONY Brook String Theory different from other string theories?

The STONY Brook String Theory is unique in that it incorporates the concept of "supersymmetry," which predicts that every known particle has a yet-to-be-discovered partner particle. This theory also proposes the existence of extra dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with.

What evidence supports the STONY Brook String Theory?

Currently, there is no direct evidence that supports the STONY Brook String Theory. However, it is still being actively studied and researched by physicists, and many believe that it has the potential to provide a more complete understanding of the universe.

What are some potential applications of the STONY Brook String Theory?

If proven to be correct, the STONY Brook String Theory could have a wide range of applications, ranging from understanding the origins and behavior of the universe to developing new technologies. For example, it could potentially lead to the development of quantum computers and more efficient energy sources.

What are some criticisms of the STONY Brook String Theory?

One major criticism of the STONY Brook String Theory is that it has not yet been tested or proven experimentally. Some also argue that it is too abstract and lacks concrete predictions that can be tested. Additionally, there are debates within the scientific community about whether or not the concept of supersymmetry is valid.