Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opinion Poll on Bigfoot, Alien, Ghosts

1. Bigfoot of the Pacific Northwest absolutely does not exist

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. Bigfoot of the Pacific Northwest may exist, there may be some valid evidence

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Bigfoot of the Pacific Northwest absolutely exists, some of the evidence is undeniable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Alien life absolutely does not exist

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. Alien life may exist, but there is no concrete evidence they have visited earth

36 vote(s)
    83.7%
  6. Alien life absolutely exists, and there is undeniable evidence that they have visited earth

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  7. Ghosts absolutely do not exist

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  8. Ghosts may exist, some evidence of their existence may be valid

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  9. Ghosts absolutely exist, there is undeniable evidence of them

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mar 3, 2006 #1
    This is part of a survey I am doing for a class project, wanted to get a sampling from the scientific community. Many Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2006 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted that ghosts may exist but we may not agree on what we mean by ghosts. There is a wide range of alleged phenomena, each of which are generally interpreted as one or another of so called ghosts, but what I really mean by my vote is seemingly unexplained phenomena. I do think odd things happen, but I don't leap to any particular interpretation of that phenomena as being due to the souls of the dead, evil spirits, transdimensional beings, or any of the many explanations conjured up in the pop culture. On the other hand, some of this stuff is downright spooky. :biggrin:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  4. Mar 6, 2006 #3
    I voted that bigfoot of the Pacific Northwest absolutely does not exist. The last one of us has finally migrated to San Diego County and we're all called Zoobies now.

5. Mar 6, 2006 #4
    Hi Ivan,
    Yes, I'm using "ghosts" as kind of a catch-all phrase for...well...something hard to sum up in a word, but juicier than "unexplained phenomenon". So I think you were right in voting yes.

It's interesting, the two differences between this poll and another I ran elsewhere is only in the Alien category, I've found more true blue believers elsewhere...and in the Bigfoot category, apparently some here are more open to the idea of Bigfoot being possibly real than I've found elsewhere.

I was using these opinion gatherings in helping me to decide what to write a paper on...and ultimately decided on Aliens, what the phenomenom says about our culture. I believe my conclusion will be that I'm not sure what terrifies me more, the idea that Aliens beings are cruising the earth abducting, poking, and prodding people.....or the idea that a few percent of the population are so delusional that they believe that they have been abducted. Either way, for all the play this subject does get in the mainstream press, it deserves much more....because of course, if it is true, what could possibly be more important?

6. Mar 6, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Within the given context, here but rarely if ever interacting with humans, is another option...whatever they might be, which would be another question entirely were they here. :biggrin:

7. Mar 6, 2006 #6
    Thing is, the "abductions" are more vivid and realistic than you probably suppose. We talk about it in this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=108665

You ought to read at least up to my "abduction", and however much of the resultant discussion hold your interest. It should have bearing on your paper.

8. Mar 7, 2006 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That surprises me. Was it the alleged debunking of the Patterson film?

9. Mar 7, 2006 #8
    I was joking. I actually voted "may exist".

10. Mar 7, 2006 #9
    Big foot doesnt exist.(excluding zoobyshoe)

Alien life is very likely given the number of galaxies in the universe, but has it visited probably not.

Ghosts exists or at least people see something, what it is or even if they actually do see anythign but a halucination or whatever is currently anyones guess.

11. Mar 7, 2006 #10
    Sorry Zoob, didn't mean for that to sound dismissive, they are very vivid and realistic I know. My point is that there are only two possibilities, either they are all delusions of some kind (all of them), or at least some of them (one even) are real. If they are all delusions it is very worrisome, if they aren't then it is truly terrifying. That's all I meant.

12. Mar 7, 2006 #11
    I read your story, I had a dream once that was not similiar in it's details but very similiar in it's vividness, it was as if it happened. I was sleeping, and my dream so far as I can remember did not have a lead-in to the event (like you walking to Micky D's) so I never would have considered it more than a dream.

(I dreamt) I was with a friend of mine, Adam, out at my summer cabin. I recall distinctly his 55 Chevy parked out near a storage shed, both doors open, us standing outside and to the front of the car looking up. It was night. There was a blue beam of light shining down on me, but it almost existed more as a sound that a light...there was a very intense buzzing low freq noise in my head...it was a little like it had control of my head, I was not necessarily able to think or do anything...the buzz had control. I do remember thinking that "ahhhh...so this is a tractor beam" It was one of the most intense feelings I've ever had, I remember the feeling now 10 years later just as I did when I woke up.

It was very strange all the way around, extremly intense. But I don't count that as a delusion, it was a dream. I'm more interested in the abduction stories that occur when people claim to have been awake. Or people waking up with their clothes on backwards...you know less explicable stuff. They are either bone crazy, or it's happening.

13. Mar 7, 2006 #12
    I think we went into this in that thread. Sleep paralysis with accompanying hallucinations followed by false memories edited in after the fact probably account for many. Then I think I mentioned trance states induced by having lights from airplanes catch your eye while you're fatigued from driving.

(It's interesting, I just happened to watch the old Humphrey Bogart film They Drive By Night about long distance truckers, and the whole culture they describe is one of stopping to chug coffee so they didn't fall asleep at the wheel. Despite that, there are two major accidents in the film caused by people falling sound asleep while driving. A girl I know told me the story of going cross country with a guy and waking up from a nap to look over and see her friend at the wheel with his eyes closed, snoring peacefully. My bet is that many people end up driving long distances in some in-between state - eyes open, and partially reactive to the environment, but essentially in a trance. )
    If you have the time you might research the phenomenon of Complex-Partial seizures. These are non-convulsive seizures that essentially can throw a person right from full consciousness into a sleepwalking state. Many people perform complex actions during complex partials for which they later have total amnesia. Taking your clothes off and putting them on backwards is completely consistent with the sort of thing they might do. Undressing is common. I read an account by one guy who would take his trousers off, take everything out of the pockets, and arrange all the stuff neatly on a table, then go wandering around with no pants on. In all cases, regardless of the particular thing they do during the seizure, the common thing to all is amnesia for the event after it's over. In other words: missing time.

The trouble with this kind of seizure is that if no one sees them in that state, tell them what they did, and gets them to a doctor, it won't occur to them that the "missing time" represents a neurological problem. I think alot of abductees are undiagnosed cases of Complex-Partial seizures, which the person embroiders with false memories of abduction, when that's the only thing they've heard of that seems to explain it.

14. Mar 7, 2006 #13
    I voted for, alien life exsts and there is concrete proof. Every night that I look up at a clear sky, it is proof enough. I guess I'm just a little bit too far ahead... it's another "earth is flat" era... and I've already accepted that it's round. The only reason so many people haven't accepted this yet is because of organized religions. Erase that from your mind and you're free to explore your existence and come to accepting truths about the universe.

15. Mar 7, 2006 #14
    The "proof" part of the question, though, is about them having visited earth, not about the notion of there being life somewhere else.

16. Mar 7, 2006 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A leap of faith or a so called expanded consciousness is not concrete proof; unless of course you have met ET. :biggrin:

17. Mar 7, 2006 #16
    Oh, I understand. I'm being a little careful about that! Last time I mentioned anything about it, I was banned. Trying to be respectful to the site so I can stick around and have conversation with you otherwise nice and intellectual folk. :)

18. Mar 7, 2006 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, "I believe because I've seen one" is absolutely allowed in the S&D forum. In this case it was a poll asking your opinion, but as a rule, "I know it to be true just because", is another thing. As long as we stick with the perceived facts from personal experiences and don't get into theories or extended messages from ET, I would like to hear your story - we are always interested in sincere claims of direct observations of phenomena. Feel free to start a thread.

19. Mar 8, 2006 #18
    The chances of their not being ET life in the universe are extremely small to the point of the notion that their isn't being somewhat absurd, the problem is the sparsity of life and the distances involved. I'm not going to start making any definitive claims that ET life has visited Earth unless I start making mashed potato mountains after seeing lots of alien space craft/aliens.:smile:

Ghosts undoubtedly people have seen or experienced bizarre phenomena, the question is, is it something "real" or material, is it halucination. Is the number of hauntings related to an area indicative of the ambience and general histroy and rumour, real events, or even just fanciful imaginings primed by sugestion. Is their some sort of imprinting on an area when particularly horrific events happen? Answer? Jury is out?

Bigfoot, aw cmon now, it's a plot by the parks commision to get more tourist/government money :wink:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  20. Mar 8, 2006 #19
    Ivan flipped his avatar!

21. Mar 8, 2006 #20
    I voted no aliens no ghosts and no big foot.. But I am 100% sure of the loch ness monster :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?