The Benefits and Side Effects of Nootropics for Motivation

In summary: in summary, it might be worth looking into nootropics to help with motivation, but there are no guarantees and potential side effects should be considered.
ƒ(x)
My Achilles Heel has always been motivation. I was wondering if taking nootropics is a viable solution. Are there any (general) side effects?

Physics news on Phys.org
From reading wiki it looks like it makes you think more clearly, though not necessarily more motivated.

That's the impression I got too, which is unfortunate.

I have found exercise is huge in creating motivation (maybe not motivation, but enables me to relax enough to do the work), as is attempting to work with/ associate with people who are doing things that I want to do.

probably depends on what you mean by motivation. lots of things enhance drive. hormones, dopaminergic agonism... attention deficit people seem to find motivation to study from prescribed stimulants. some people are just low in health, sleep, etc. the adomet cycle and homocysteine recycling is extremely important and even some pharmaceutical vitamins have been marketed recently based on this. but what i think you're asking about is something else.

khemist said:
I have found exercise is huge in creating motivation (maybe not motivation, but enables me to relax enough to do the work), as is attempting to work with/ associate with people who are doing things that I want to do.

I already exercise quite a bit.

Proton Soup said:
probably depends on what you mean by motivation. lots of things enhance drive. hormones, dopaminergic agonism... attention deficit people seem to find motivation to study from prescribed stimulants. some people are just low in health, sleep, etc. the adomet cycle and homocysteine recycling is extremely important and even some pharmaceutical vitamins have been marketed recently based on this. but what i think you're asking about is something else.

I mean stuff that will help me not be so apathetic.

ƒ(x) said:

Fear of starvation or homelessness? Those always worked for me...

ƒ(x) said:

well, do a little searching on depression and anhedonia. some harmless things you might try are http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17993252" or vitamins like B6/B12/folate. but no one here can really give you any advice on drugs. lack of motivation can be boredom, learned helplessness, or maybe even a side effect of a real illness that you need to see a doc about. so you might want to seek out some hobbies or interests outside work and school, find a significant other, or get a medical exam.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are nootropics?

Nootropics, also known as "smart drugs" or "cognitive enhancers", are substances that are believed to improve cognitive function, such as memory, focus, and motivation. They can be natural or synthetic and are often taken as supplements.

2. How do nootropics work?

The exact mechanism of action for nootropics is not fully understood, but they are thought to work by increasing the production of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, such as dopamine, serotonin, and acetylcholine. These neurotransmitters play a key role in regulating mood, motivation, and cognitive function.

3. What are the potential benefits of taking nootropics for motivation?

Nootropics have been reported to improve motivation by increasing the levels of neurotransmitters involved in motivation and reward pathways. They may also enhance focus and mental clarity, allowing individuals to stay on task and achieve their goals more easily.

4. Are there any potential side effects of using nootropics?

While nootropics are generally considered safe, they may cause some side effects in certain individuals. These can include headaches, nausea, insomnia, and anxiety. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen.

5. Are nootropics suitable for everyone?

Nootropics may not be suitable for everyone. Pregnant or breastfeeding women, children, and individuals with certain medical conditions or taking certain medications should consult with a healthcare professional before using nootropics. It is also important to follow recommended dosages and not to mix different types of nootropics without medical supervision.