Opinions on Farewell to Reality

• Thread starter RUTA
  • Start date
RUTA
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Just finished Jim Baggott's book, "Farewell to Realilty: How Modern Physics has Betrayed the Search for Scientific Truth." Anyone here read the book and care to respond?

Answers and Replies

Jim Baggott has written a very good new book called Farewell to Reality that will soon come out here in the US. It is already out in the UK, where it is stirring up some debate, and perhaps the US will soon see something similar.

In the preface, Baggott explains that he was motivated to write the book by the experience of watching this BBC program, which featured a combination of serious science with revelations about how we’re all part of a cosmic hologram, there’s an infinity of parallel worlds, and various other examples of what he refers to as “fairy-tale” physics. In the last decade or so there have been a large number of such mass media efforts promoting highly dubious ideas about fundamental physics, and Baggott decided that in his next book he’d try and do something to counter this. I think he’s succeeded admirably: the BBC and other such organizations should atone for their sins by sending copies of the book to their viewers...
more: http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=6002

Sounds good. I'll keep my eye open for it.