Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opinions on *The Guardians* efforts to influence American politics

1. Oct 19, 2004 #1
    Not sure how many are aware of The Guardian and it's efforts to influence American politics by having Brits send letters to citizens of Ohio. The Guardian is a liberal and widely circulated British publication. Click on the link for some American responses to The Guardian's efforts. To be honest – there's something very American about the responses provided at the linked site.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1329858,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2004 #2

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you should realize that the original article was more than a little tongue-in-cheek.

4. Oct 19, 2004 #3
    No I didn't -- what makes you ssay that?

5. Oct 19, 2004 #4

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

'cos i read it.

6. Oct 19, 2004 #5
    I see - nothing you read --- just the reading itself?

7. Oct 19, 2004 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The link isn't an article, its actual mail from residents of Ohio. I'm not seeing satire there either.

8. Oct 19, 2004 #7
    Here are portions / partial quotes, from the original Guardian articles. Click the links for the context and the entire articles.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1326033,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1326033,00.html

9. Oct 19, 2004 #8

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

C'mon, you surely don't think it's 100% serious? Even the orgional Freedland column on which the campaign was based, though making a serious point was not being 100% serious in it's suggestions.

10. Oct 19, 2004 #9

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes they are giving out e-mail adresses, but if you think that this a serious attempt to influence the US electtion you are very much mistaken, it's fairly common for British newspapers to do campaign's like these. For example compare to the Mirror's (or at leatsv I think it was the Mirror) long campaign against the wrongful imprisonment of Deirdre Rashid. Deirdre Rashid was a character on a long-running UK soap opera.

11. Oct 19, 2004 #10
    Well it's pretty much beyond me to understand how someone concludes this is "tongue in cheek" after reading the articles. If you do somehow – so be it. It's your secret. I suppose it's best just to leave this as it is and allow the articles to speak for themselves -

12. Oct 19, 2004 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Are you saying you don't think those are actual letters/emails from Ohio residents?

13. Oct 19, 2004 #12

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most of them aren't (infact ntoice that the ones from Ohio are postive), they're from other peol in the US.

Of course they are, which isn't in itself signicacnt, to compare, the 'Free Deidre Rashid Campaign' had dedicated letter writing campaign's to bothe the Home secretary (who has the power to review crimnal prosecutions, though also not those of fictional characters) and the makers and the televison programme.

The comaprison does obscure one thing, in that this frivilous campaign does have a serious political message attatched to it.

14. Oct 21, 2004 #13
    From The Telegraph, a British publication, updating the status of The Guardian’s efforts -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...aun21.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/21/ixhome.html

15. Oct 21, 2004 #14

kat

ROFL

I honestly find the massive influence of Soro's on the presidential campaign to be more offensive and threatening then this.

16. Oct 21, 2004 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I watched on CNN, a reporter interviewing someone at the Guardian about this whole affair. The Guardian bloke seemed dead serious about it all. Either that, or I don't get British humor. :frown:

17. Oct 23, 2004 #16
    Some people are probably taking it seriously, but most people think its a joke. If you were serious about influencing people's voting behaviour, this would not be the way to do it. In fact, such a condescending approach is much more likely to backfire i.e. encourage the recipient to vote for the opposite candidate. But there is a serious point, and that is that whoever the US votes for in this election WILL effect the world in a way that no other US election ever has. So in this sense the letter-writing could be taken at face value.

18. Oct 23, 2004 #17
    Then the "most people" you refer to and claim exist are either brain dead or haven't read The Guardian articles themselves. Or better, have seen how bad a turn The Guardian's efforts to influence our elections have turn - and are now attempting to call it just a good humored prank. I suspect a little of the first two but most of three.

And oh yes ---I've YET to see anyone here point to ANYTHING in the article indicating that it is not serious in it's attempts to affect American elections. Simply because some here don't want it to be true - doesn't make it so.

Now I've ask before and I'll ask again. SHOW US where it is in The Guardian articles there is that elusive indication of just a good humored prank, jjust all a joke?

19. Oct 23, 2004 #18
    Easy, Tiger :smile: When I say "most people" I refer to something about it on the telly (Newsnight). For all I know, its just me and a few other people who see it as a joke, and if you did a poll you might find that over 50% of the population in fact take it very seriously i.e. I am using the term 'most' loosely.

Its probably fair to say that The Guardian is a politically correct paper, and tends to take itself a bit too seriously. Therefore when they came up with this campaign a lot of people (though maybe not most) smile knowingly and shake their collective heads.

Put it another way, have you seen Spinal Tap? Like a lot of UK comedy at the moment it looks almost like a documentary - almost. There is just enough of the ridiculous in it so that after a few minutes you get the joke. The Office is a similar thing, but I don't know if you have seen that in the US yet. Now, the Guardian effort may have been done in earnest (I really don't know or care, and I haven't read the article and don't intend to) but that doesn't mean that it is unintentionally comic and a lot of people take it as such.

Why don't you write to The Guardian and ask them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?