Opitmizing out of balance load

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's attempt to create a spinning object with an off-balance center of gravity. They mention changing the weight profile from a half circle to a pie shape, which would affect the center of mass and decrease the overall mass. They ask for formulas to optimize this design and suggest using a nut and bolt to secure the pieces. The trade-off between increasing the center of mass and decreasing the mass is discussed, as well as the formulas used to calculate radial acceleration and force. The conversation concludes by mentioning the importance of optimizing the moment of inertia, also known as angular mass.
Brad123
Hello, I am trying to make something that spins out of balance. currently my current weighs are half circle in shape. I know that if I change the profile of the weights to a pie shape (less than 180deg semi circle) the center of mass moves away from the axis of rotation, but at the same time my mass is decreased (given same radius and thickness). Does anyone have the formulas that would help me optimize this? I am trying to reduce the overall radius of the spinning object for sizing and thought this might be the correct approach.
Thanks hopefully.

Attachments

• pie.jpg
    pie.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I see what you are saying, you want to "optimize the out of balance", obviously more weight over a less spread out area. Sounds like F=MA.

How about cutting your "pie" into many pieces, drill center holes into (each piece). Arrange the pieces as you wish(even stacking), then use a nut and bolt,(through all the center holes) to secure the pie pieces.

You could then physically vary your geometry. The smaller the slices, the more stacking, the greater the "out of balance".

What I am trying to do is play with the balance of moving the center of gravity away from the rotational axis. The tradeoff is as you narrow the piece up the CM goes out, which increases your R. Problem is mass goes down at the same time, unless you stack or thicken it as you mention. The formulas I am using are V=(2piR)/T, T=period. radial Acceleration Arad=V^2/R and F=ma. I do not see much advantage so far in "narrowing up" the slice to increase R. With my period a constant and solving for radial acceleration in terms of R, and pluggin that into F=ma, neither m nor r are squared so they directly affect each other. Not sure, probably making this confusing. anyway I see no benifit to making the pie slice shape versus just a half circle.

You want to optimise the moment of inertia, other wise known as angular mass.

Bigger MOI = more out of balance.
You can apply any constraints you want to the geometry but MOI is your parameter to optimise.
Wiki it.

1. What is optimizing out of balance load?

Optimizing out of balance load is the process of distributing workloads across multiple systems or nodes to ensure efficient and balanced resource utilization. It involves identifying and managing imbalances in resource usage to improve system performance.

2. Why is optimizing out of balance load important?

Optimizing out of balance load is important because it helps prevent bottlenecks and overloading of specific systems, which can lead to decreased performance and system failures. It also ensures that resources are being utilized efficiently, ultimately saving time and cost.

3. What are some common methods for optimizing out of balance load?

Some common methods for optimizing out of balance load include load balancing, resource allocation, and workload migration. Load balancing involves distributing workloads evenly across systems, while resource allocation involves assigning specific resources to different tasks. Workload migration, on the other hand, involves moving tasks between systems to balance out resource usage.

4. What factors should be considered when optimizing out of balance load?

When optimizing out of balance load, factors such as system capacity, workload type, and resource availability should be taken into consideration. It's also important to consider the overall goals and objectives of the system and prioritize workloads accordingly.

5. How can machine learning be used for optimizing out of balance load?

Machine learning can be used for optimizing out of balance load by analyzing historical data and predicting future resource usage. This allows for proactive load balancing and resource allocation, leading to more efficient and effective optimization. Machine learning algorithms can also be used to automate the optimization process, reducing the need for manual intervention.