1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opportunities for post doc

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1
    Hi guys,
    I have just completed my Master of Science in Physics from an Indian University. Now I wish to do PhD in the US. Being 31 years old, will it be too late for a PDF by the time I complete my PhD? As it is troubling me a bit, I just thought of having your opinion.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This depends on what you mean my "too late." In general, you will not be too old for post-doctoral work at 31. There's no age limitation on hiring for research projects (aside from manditory retirement laws). Even if there were, you don't typically place your date of birth or age on a CV, so there's no way anyone can know what your age is unless you tell them.

The major concern for most people is that post-docs aren't stable positions, they often have limited benefits, and the pay isn't typically all that great. This isn't so bad when you're in your twenties and you're happy just to make rent, buy groceries and have enough cash to see a movie at the end of the week. But once you get married and have a few kids to feed (not atypical for people in their thirties) your needs increase.

4. Jun 6, 2009 #3
    Thanx for your suggestion buddy.

5. Jun 16, 2009 #4
    Hi

I have done my BTech at an Indian University what are the options for me to pursue a post Doc

6. Jun 16, 2009 #5
    try searching for JEST, JAM, GATE for the research field of your liking.

7. Jun 16, 2009 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing here, but a "post doc" is a POST-DOCTORAL position. It means that you must already have your Ph.D already. Without one, your "option" for a post-doc position is almost nil.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook