Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opportunity is on the surface of Mars.

1. Jan 25, 2004 #1

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They say it is about 24km North of the center of the predicted landing zone, in other words right on target. It began communicating as soon as it hit the ground. Not to bad, should be a interesting few weeks ahead.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2004 #2
    Hopefully it doesn't do what Spirit is doing now, eh? Transmitions working on 120 megabytes per whatever, won't "go to sleep", reboots itself after every new find. I still give credit to NASA though. Oppurtunity shall be interesting to watch in the next couple weeks.

4. Jan 25, 2004 #3

LURCH

Science Advisor

Did anybody watch the live webcast? What a ride!

5. Jan 25, 2004 #4

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I missed the live landing, but watched the live feed of the first data transmission from Odessey and the Press Conferance that followed.

6. Jan 25, 2004 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They say Opportunity has landed INSIDE a small crater, and a significantly larger crater is nearby and should be easily accessible. The geologist are ecstatic.

7. Jan 25, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A work of art as well!

It was awesome: Speed 12,000 MPH. After 6 minutes of clockwork precision of who knows how many systems working exactly as planned, chute deployed, retro's fired, chute released, and then we land with 3g's of force [the design limit was 40g's]. Then...confirmation of bouncing, confirmation of rolling, the no error signal recieved, and four hours later the thumbnails fill the NASA screen at 200 Meg. It doesn't get any better!!! And the web site takes you right into the control room for the real time data.

Fantastic!!!

8. Jan 28, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Opportunity Closing in on Scientific Jackpot

good pictures

http://space.com/missionlaunches/opportunity_update_040127.html

9. Jan 30, 2004 #8

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Opportunity rover update: Engineers are trying to fix a power drain problem, but they're still planning to start the rover rolling as early as this Sunday.

10. Jan 31, 2004 #9

LURCH

Science Advisor

5 am here in Michigan, and Mission Controll just received a confirmation signal from the rover acknowledging that it had received the command to go ahead with egress. Given the lightspeed lag time in signals, that should mean that we are already "six wheels dirty" on Mars.

11. Jan 31, 2004 #10
    BOOYAH!

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html

Twelve working wheels on Mars now, given Spirit's rebirth. Again, it's a damn shame Beagle2 isn't in such great working order.

LURCH. Glad to see a fellow Michigander. But given my recent graduation and subsequent job search, I'm now forced to move to my home town of crappy Sturgis to cut costs (lost my cushy campus job when I graduated). I swear the cows hove more fun here than I do.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2004
  12. Jan 31, 2004 #11

LURCH

Science Advisor

LOL! The cows' only responibility in life is to mate; they have more fun than any of us!

13. Jan 31, 2004 #12
    Hehehe touche LURCH!

[​IMG]

I thought this was a cool pic. Go Nasa.

Edit...is there a reason the [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2004
  14. Feb 5, 2004 #13

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Feb 9, 2004 #14

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

CNN Feb 8 update...

16. Feb 10, 2004 #15

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

CNN Feb 9...
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/space/02/09/mars.rovers/index.html

Watched CSPAN2 last night with the science team discussing the hypotheses for the formation of the spheroids. Astronomy geeks and geologists are probably the only ones to stick around for these press conferences, but I think it's interesting to see a science team thinking out loud like that about data from a new world. (of course, I'm an astronomy geek).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?