Opportunity of physics scholarships

In summary, the conversation is about a person reading ZapperZ's article on being a physicist and visiting the society of physics students website. They notice that being a member of the society gives the opportunity for scholarships. The person then asks if there are any other organizations that provide scholarships for physics or related majors. Other members suggest checking with the school's scholarship office, websites like fastweb, and DoD scholarships/internships. Additionally, major companies also offer scholarships and internships. However, it is noted that these scholarships are usually one-time awards and will not cover the full cost of education. The conversation also mentions a specific scholarship for math/physics/engineering majors in Virginia. The conversation ends with a discussion on the frequency of winning multiple
stardust
I've been reading ZapperZ's article on being a physicist, and I visited the society of physics students website. The first thing I noticed was that being a member gave you the opportunity of scholarships. A question occurred to me.

Does anyone else know of any organizations that could provide scholarships to physics majors or closely related majors, such as math/engineering? Or just scholarships in general that I or others could use?

Show me the MONEY!

Sry, Jerry Maguire reference ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
stardust said:
I've been reading ZapperZ's article on being a physicist, and I visited the society of physics students website. The first thing I noticed was that being a member gave you the opportunity of scholarships.

It does?!

The AIP doesn't provide "scholarship". Where did you get this from?

Zz.

There's tons. First, check with your school to see if they have a scholarship office. They should be able to narrow the search. Secondly check websites like fastweb. Thirdly, look for DoD scholarships/internships. Lastly, many major companies offer scholarships and internships for prospective students.

Broad advice, but it's also nearly impossible to list everything that may be out there.

ZapperZ said:
Er... note that these are really a one-time award. It will not pay for your education, but merely a one-time prize.

Zz.

Of course, I never meant to imply that they were full on free-ride scholarships. However, I must correct you on one point. All of those scholarships except the leadership scholarship explicitly mention that they can used every year. The exception with the leadership is that you must be a least a junior to apply, so that would limit it to two years.

I probably should've not mentioned these, as I might get more competition from fellow physics majors for them, but it would be unethical not to share it.

Unfortunately, these scholarship applications ended this February, but you can apply for next year when it comes. Good luck to anyone who applies!

Also for any interested math/physics/engineering majors who live in Virgina, there's this scholarship from the NASA Virginia Space Grant Consortium:
http://vsgc.odu.edu/sf/undergrad/

It's due March 17.

stardust said:
However, I must correct you on one point. All of those scholarships except the leadership scholarship explicitly mention that they can used every year.

Before you are too quick to "correct" people who are giving you good advice, you might want to see how often someone wins a scholarship multiple times.

Vanadium 50 said:
Before you are too quick to "correct" people who are giving you good advice, you might want to see how often someone wins a scholarship multiple times.

Jesus, I'm not being rude, I'm just trying to clarify the facts. ZapperZ didn't hesitate to point when I might be incorrect, and I wasn't offended.

1. What types of physics scholarships are available?

There are various types of physics scholarships available, including merit-based, need-based, university-specific, and industry-specific scholarships. Some scholarships may also focus on specific areas of physics, such as astrophysics or particle physics.

2. Who is eligible to apply for physics scholarships?

Eligibility criteria for physics scholarships may vary, but generally, applicants must be enrolled or planning to enroll in a physics-related degree program at an accredited institution. Some scholarships may also have additional requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific coursework.

3. What is the application process for physics scholarships?

The application process for physics scholarships may involve filling out an online application, submitting transcripts and letters of recommendation, and writing essays or personal statements. It is important to carefully read and follow the instructions for each scholarship to ensure a successful application.

4. How much funding can I receive from a physics scholarship?

The amount of funding available for physics scholarships varies greatly. Some scholarships may cover full tuition and living expenses, while others may only provide a one-time award. It is important to research each scholarship to determine the amount of funding available.

5. Are there any specific requirements or obligations for recipients of physics scholarships?

Some physics scholarships may have specific requirements or obligations for recipients, such as maintaining a certain GPA or participating in research or mentoring programs. It is important to carefully review the terms and conditions of each scholarship to understand any requirements or obligations.