1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Opposing and Applied Forces

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    I know this should be an easy question but I am just a tad confused. Here is the question:

A 15 kg object experiences an applied force of 5.5 N[N] and an opposing frictional force of 2.5 N. If the object starts from rest, how far will it have travelled after 4.0s?

It would be wonderful if you could show me step by step. Thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi emmuuhhlee,

Welcome to PF! For future reference, you should post questions like these in the Homework Help subforum of Physics Forums from now on:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152

In addition, it is forum rules that you show some of your work. When you create a new post there, you will find that a template appears in the place where you are supposed to compose your post. It looks like this:

So, you've already provided the information for #1. What do you think some of the relevant equations and physical concepts are (#2)? What have you done so far to approach this problem (#3)?

Hint: one of Newton's Laws of Motion contains all of the information you need to know in order to solve this problem.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook