Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opposite of a centrifuge?

  1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    Hey all, first post here on PF.

    This might be a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find if there is a machine that does the opposite of a centrifuge, specifically forcing material into the center of a circle. Or if there is a force that is reproducible on a small scale that does this.

    Again, sorry if this is silly, but I'm thinking of making something and this is kind of crucial!

  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2
    Seems to me you could use a centrifuge that has capsules at the end of it. The heavier material is forced into the center bottom dome of the capsule.
  4. Jul 16, 2012 #3
    I can think of two examples:
    1) Using high explosives (ie Nuclear Bomb ignition)
    2) Using high energy lasers to detonate the surface of a fuel pellet (ie Fusion research)

    If you have a particular application in mind it might be easier to come up with something more practical?
  5. Jul 16, 2012 #4
    It depends on how much stuff, how quickly, etc.

    A funnel forces everything to the center of a "circle".
  6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    Dang, how'd we miss that one!? D'oh!!:tongue:

    Travis King is in beast mode.
  7. Jul 17, 2012 #6
    EMF in a ring around the substance you want pushed to the center.
  8. Jul 17, 2012 #7


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Garbage disposal unit.
  9. Jul 17, 2012 #8
    A centrifuge does it... The lighter material moves toward the center. ;-)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Opposite of a centrifuge?
  1. Centrifuge technology (Replies: 1)