1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Opposite of a centrifuge?

1. Jul 16, 2012 #1
    Hey all, first post here on PF.

This might be a stupid question, but I haven't been able to find if there is a machine that does the opposite of a centrifuge, specifically forcing material into the center of a circle. Or if there is a force that is reproducible on a small scale that does this.

Again, sorry if this is silly, but I'm thinking of making something and this is kind of crucial!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2
    Seems to me you could use a centrifuge that has capsules at the end of it. The heavier material is forced into the center bottom dome of the capsule.

4. Jul 16, 2012 #3
    I can think of two examples:
    1) Using high explosives (ie Nuclear Bomb ignition)
    2) Using high energy lasers to detonate the surface of a fuel pellet (ie Fusion research)

If you have a particular application in mind it might be easier to come up with something more practical?

5. Jul 16, 2012 #4
    It depends on how much stuff, how quickly, etc.

A funnel forces everything to the center of a "circle".

6. Jul 17, 2012 #5
    Dang, how'd we miss that one!? D'oh!!:tongue:

Travis King is in beast mode.

7. Jul 17, 2012 #6
    EMF in a ring around the substance you want pushed to the center.

8. Jul 17, 2012 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Garbage disposal unit.

9. Jul 17, 2012 #8
    A centrifuge does it... The lighter material moves toward the center. ;-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook