Opposite of Polygon: Open Shapes & Names

• Thread starter aspiring_one
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polygon
In summary, the opposite of polygons are shapes that have curves, and do not have any straight lines on their boundary. These shapes have a changing derivative at all points on their boundary and are often referred to as "curved shapes". They can include objects such as diamonds with curved edges inward.
aspiring_one
Sorry if this seems elementary but what shapes are the opposite of polygons (closed by line segments) and what do you call them? Sorry if my question is phrased weird.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the opposite of a geometrical figure?

I guess I mean curved shapes that end in points. Not quite conics but a combination of them. One shape is a diamond with curved edges inward. I am no geometer nor have I taken any topology. Sorry if this is still vague

aspiring_one said:
Sorry if this seems elementary but what shapes are the opposite of polygons (closed by line segments) and what do you call them? Sorry if my question is phrased weird.

If I had to guess, I would have to see anything that has curves. If I had to define curve, I would define an object with a boundary that at all points has a changing derivative: in other words no straight lines on the objects boundary which means that the derivative is non-constant about any local region of the shapes boundary (I'm sorry I can't state a mathematical rule for this, but I'm sure there is one out there).

The opposite of a polygon would be an open shape, which is not closed by line segments. These shapes are often referred to as curves or irregular shapes. They do not have a specific name, as they can vary greatly in form and characteristics. Some examples of open shapes could include circles, ovals, curves, and spirals. These shapes are commonly found in nature and can also be created through mathematical equations. While they may not fit into the strict definition of a polygon, they still have unique properties and can be studied and analyzed in a scientific manner.

What is a polygon?

A polygon is a closed shape with straight sides and angles. It must have at least three sides and each side must intersect with the other two sides only at their endpoints.

What is the opposite of a polygon?

The opposite of a polygon is an open shape. Unlike a polygon, it does not have straight sides or angles and may have any number of sides.

What are some examples of open shapes?

Some examples of open shapes include circles, ellipses, curves, and spirals.

Do open shapes have names?

Yes, open shapes have names depending on their properties and characteristics. For example, a shape with two parallel sides and two curved sides is called a parallelogram.

Can open shapes be classified into different groups?

Yes, open shapes can be classified into different groups based on their properties and characteristics. Some common groups include circles, ellipses, curves, and spirals.