Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optic Cable ?

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    "Optic Cable"?

http://splintercell.wikia.com/wiki/Optic_Cable

I'm thinking about making one just for fun, I know how to make that display device (ARM+LCD screen), but I'm really clueless on how to make the cable. How should that be done? I know it's gonna cost a lot and I know the finished work, if can be finished at all might not look very neat, but I'd like to know the feasibility.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2012 #2
    Re: "Optic Cable"?

Seems to me like you are mixing up two completely different concepts.

You aren't likely to "make" an optic fiber cable yourself, but you could very well buy one. But you will not need an LCD or any kind of processing if you are using fiber optics.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiberscope

Or you could go with a miniature camera and a display, but then you would not need an optic fiber cable, just a regular usb cable or similar.

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3

Oh not again, something wrong with my English?

the LCD is for display purpose and for that intention only, but your post did give me a direction to look at, thanks.

I'm not gonna make an optic cable myself, heck, I can't even join two threads without a fully automated machine.

5. Jan 30, 2012 #4

I'll try one more time.
    If you are using optic fibres, then the signal is... well, optical. You do not need, and in fact can not use, an LCD or any other digital device to view it, you need an optical eyepiece to look at it directly. It is just like if you use a system of mirrors, such as in a periscope, you would not be able to use an LCD for display. Not without a camera too anyway. And if you had a camera, then the optic cable (or mirrors) are not needed.

6. Jan 30, 2012 #5

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

It might be called an "optic cable" but I believe that most inspection cameras just have an image sensor at the end of the 'snake' connected via electrical cabling (my own SeeSnake has extension pieces that just pass through signal and power from / to the image sensor at the end):
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ch-alias=aps&field-keywords=inspection+camera

You might be able to do something similar with a CCD or CMOS sensor connected to the ARM.

7. Jan 30, 2012 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They also use a bunch of many individual optic fibres, arranged 'coherently' so that an object presented at one end will appear as a coherent image (pixellated) at the other. Was that the sort of 'cable' you had in mind?

You can buy plastic optical fibre and make something of the sort yourself (if you are neat enough) but even the cheapest fibres are quite pricey for modest lengths. Tiny CCD cameras are available now that will do the same job much cheaper, I think.

8. Feb 6, 2012 #7

Nah, I'm not gonna be able to joint all those fibers 'coherently', but will there be CCD cams small enough to stick under through the rift between the door and the floor?

9. Feb 6, 2012 #8

Yea I think the 2nd plan (ccd sensor+electrical cable) is more viable.

10. Feb 6, 2012 #9

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I expect the smallest kit may be very expensive.
    If you are after only a few mm of size then it will cost. Smallest webcam, cheap as chips.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook