I Optic fiber project

• Thread starter Ann Par
  • Start date
Summary
I need some help with easy ideas to develop for a physics project, please.
Hi everyone!

I'm in a physics course from university, we have seen topics related with light and optic, the teacher want a project related with those topics so i have been thinking about a project that involves the optic fiber. I haven't been successful in my research, i find so complicated and advance projects.Could you help me with some ideas for an amateur student?

I would be grateful.

The teacher would like some kind of demonstration as a handmade model or something like that.

berkeman

Mentor
1mm plastic fiber is easy to work with, and you could transfer audio over it for your project. Have you worked with 1mm fiber optics yet? I think the supplies are available through Digikey, for example...

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
Gold Member
1mm plastic fiber is easy to work with, and you could transfer audio over it for your project. Have you worked with 1mm fiber optics yet? I think the supplies are available through Digikey, for example...
Also there are relatively cheap plugs and sockets available for terminating that sort of fibre. They are used in optical links between consumer HiFi units - no need to re-invent the wheel and it would allow you to get on with the really interesting stuff.
A very 'Physicsy' investigation could involve looking at the effects of water vapour and smoke in the atmosphere on the transmission path on open air optical links. If you could find out just what equipment could be made available to you then you would have a better chance of choosing a feasible project. Ask your supervisor so that you can stay real. good luck.