Calculating Refractive Index of a Blade Material Using Microscope Measurements

In summary, the blade is 5 mm thick and when viewed under a microscope, the focus of a surface point can be passed on to a point on the underside of the blade by moving the cannon 3mm from the microscope. The refractive index of the material that the blade is made of is 5/3.
Ampavardi
A blade parallel faces is 5 mm thick. Taken to a microscope it appears that, to pass on the focus of a surface point to a point on the underside of the blade should move the cannon from the microscope 3mm. What is the refractive index of the material it is made the blade?

5/3

Thx

EDIT: Sorry, i can't delete the post now, I'm nwe here e sorry again. I can't read the rules, but now read it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ampavardi said:
A blade parallel faces is 5 mm thick. Taken to a microscope it appears that, to pass on the focus of a surface point to a point on the underside of the blade should move the cannon from the microscope 3mm. What is the refractive index of the material it is made the blade?

5/3

Thx

EDIT: Sorry, i can't delete the post now, I'm nwe here e sorry again. I can't read the rules, but now read it.

No need to delete, just please describe what you are aking in a bit more detail. Is this a question, and you are given the answer and asked to show the calculations? Is 5/3 supposed to be the answer? Can you describe how you should approach this problem, and list what the Relevant Equations are?

1. What is an "Optic homework problem"?

An "Optic homework problem" is a question or exercise related to the study of optics, which is the branch of physics that deals with the behavior and properties of light. These problems often involve the use of equations and concepts to solve real-world or theoretical scenarios.

2. How do I solve an "Optic homework problem"?

To solve an "Optic homework problem", you will need to understand the relevant equations and concepts related to optics. This may involve using formulas such as Snell's law, the lens equation, or the wave equation. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, identify the known and unknown variables, and apply the appropriate equations to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are some common types of "Optic homework problems"?

Some common types of "Optic homework problems" include calculating the refraction of light at a boundary between two materials, determining the focal length of a lens, or finding the speed of light in a given medium. Other problems may involve analyzing the behavior of light waves, such as interference or diffraction.

4. What resources can I use to help me with "Optic homework problems"?

There are many resources available to help you with "Optic homework problems". Your textbook, class notes, and online resources such as tutorials or practice problems can provide valuable information and examples. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor if you are struggling with a specific problem.

5. How can I check if my answer to an "Optic homework problem" is correct?

The best way to check if your answer to an "Optic homework problem" is correct is to compare it to the given solution or to use known values to verify your calculations. You can also double-check your work to ensure that you used the correct equations and correctly applied them. If you are still unsure, you can seek help from a teacher or peer to review your work and provide feedback.