Calculating Biconvex Glass Lens Radius of Curvature for a +35-cm Focal Length

In summary, the question asks for the radius of curvature for a biconvex glass lens with a +35-cm focal length and an index of refraction of 1.70. Using the equation 1/f=(n-1)*(1/r1+1/r2), the radius of curvature was found to be 50cm. The discussion also notes that this type of question should be posted in the "Homework and Coursework Questions" forum.
Roof
Question: A biconvex glass (n = 1.70) thin lens is to have a +35-cm focal length. If the radius of curvature of each surface is measured to be the same, what must it be? Give your answer in cm to two decimal places.

My answer:
I used this equation 1/f=(n-1)*(1/r1+1/r2), I got an answer 50cm. Am I right or I missing somthings? still doubt

Science news on Phys.org
I think this should be in the homework question section.

Thanks richyw

Indeed, questions like this (solutions to specific exercises, whether they are actually assignments for a course or not) belong in one of the "Homework and Coursework Questions" forums. In this case, the "Introductory Physics" is the appropriate one.

Your answer is correct. The radius of curvature for both surfaces of the biconvex glass lens would be 50 cm. This can be calculated using the thin lens equation, where f is the focal length and n is the refractive index of the glass. By plugging in the given values, we get:

1/35 = (1.70-1)*(1/r + 1/r)

Solving for r, we get r = 50 cm for both surfaces. This means that the lens has a spherical shape, with a radius of curvature of 50 cm on both sides. This information is important for designing and manufacturing the lens, as it determines the shape and thickness of the lens.

1. What is optics?

Optics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of light and its properties, including its behavior and interactions with matter.

2. What are the properties of light?

Light can be described by its wavelength, frequency, and speed. It also exhibits properties such as reflection, refraction, diffraction, and interference.

3. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing of light off a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a material with a different optical density.

4. How does light interact with matter?

Light can be absorbed, transmitted, reflected, or scattered when it interacts with matter. The type of interaction depends on the properties of the material and the wavelength of light.

5. What are the practical applications of optics?

Optics has a wide range of practical applications, including cameras, telescopes, microscopes, lasers, and fiber optics. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, medicine, and manufacturing.