Help with Optic/Wave Question - Prove Entry Ray Exits Parallel

• Thread starter Arowana
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a problem that asks for a proof that the entry ray of light into a medium will exit parallel to the entry ray. The person has drawn a diagram and done the mathematical calculation, but is struggling to put it into words. They ask for help and are given advice to use trigonometry to derive an expression for the offset of the entry and exiting rays, based on the thickness of the sheet and the angle of incidence. They express stress and ask for further clarification on how to use trigonometry.
Arowana
hi, i know that the entry ray of light into a medium will exits parrallel to the entry ray. The problem ask me to prove it. i have drawn a diagram and done the mathematical calculation. i just can't put it into words, could some one please help me out.

and 2nd part to that question is

Derive an expression for the offset of the entry and exiting rays if the
thickness of the sheet is T and the ray enters at an angle of incidence of θ.

aaaaaahhh...im so stress out..because of this simple question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps, if you could show the mathematical calculation. Will your tutor not accept a proof based on calculations?

For you second part, simply use trig...

~H

thanks hootenanny

umm...i still don't get the 2nd part, how do i use trig?

Arowana said:
umm...i still don't get the 2nd part, how do i use trig?

Try drawing a diagram and making right triangles with the rays of light as the hypotenues.

~H

1. How do I prove that the entry ray exits parallel to the optic axis?

To prove that the entry ray exits parallel to the optic axis, you can use the principle of refraction, which states that the incident ray, refracted ray, and the normal to the surface of the interface between two materials all lie in the same plane. This means that the entry ray and the refracted ray will be parallel, as they both lie in the same plane as the normal to the surface.

2. What is the significance of the optic axis in this question?

The optic axis is an imaginary line that runs through the center of the lens or mirror. It is used as a reference point for determining the direction of light rays passing through or reflecting off of the optic. In this question, the parallel exit of the entry ray is significant because it ensures that the light rays are not distorted by the lens or mirror.

3. Can this question be solved using the laws of reflection?

No, this question cannot be solved using the laws of reflection. The laws of reflection only apply to the reflection of light rays off of a mirror-like surface. In this question, we are dealing with refraction, which occurs when light passes through a transparent material such as a lens.

4. What other factors may affect the parallel exit of the entry ray?

Other factors that may affect the parallel exit of the entry ray include the shape and curvature of the lens or mirror, the refractive index of the material, and the angle of incidence of the light ray. These factors can all impact the direction and magnitude of the refraction, and therefore, the parallel exit of the entry ray.

5. Can this question be applied to all types of lenses and mirrors?

Yes, this question can be applied to all types of lenses and mirrors, as long as the material is transparent and the laws of refraction apply. However, the specific values and calculations may differ depending on the shape and curvature of the lens or mirror.