1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical band-pass filters (radome coatings)

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am reading about a new field that I am not familiar with at all, and I was hoping that someone could give me some info on that.

The general idea is that if you have a conductive layer, with a periodic array of apertures perforated in it (such as crosses), you can design a band-pass optical filter that will have maximum transmittance for a given resonant wavelength, and minimum transmittance outside of the band.. This can be used for radars, to protect them from interfering radiations for example.

I would like to be able to calculate the transmittance for such a filter with different input parameters (such as wavelength of incident electromagnetic radiation, maybe angle of incidence, thickness and conductivity of the layer, dimensions of the apertures and periodicity). From what I found, it looks like people use specialized softwares to solve these problems (such as COMSOL, Micro-Stripes), and methods such as FEM, FDTD, matrix method..

I don't have any specialized software that I can use. I only have MATLAB. So I am looking for the easiest method to implement in MATLAB. I am quite comfortable with MATLAB, but I lack knowledge in this field to determine which method would work for me..

If anyone has some ideas on this, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted