Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical CPU

1. Nov 18, 2005 #1
    A few days ago a buddy of mine showed me a two year old article, telling that Israel have developed an optical CPU. I did check i further and it is true, but I can not understand how such a device can work..
    Is there anyone who could explain it to me???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I think this is along the same lines.

[URL]http://www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/information_technology/report-19406.html[/url

John and his team devised a photonic band gap blueprint that can be made with nanometre-scale precision by bombarding it with x-rays. The x-rays pass through a gold “mask” with an array of holes, removing portions of a polymer template below. Glass is deposited to fill in the holes and the remaining polymer burned away with heat. Silicon is then deposited throughout the void regions of the glass template and the glass finally removed with chemicals, leaving behind a pure silicon photonic band gap material.]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook