1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical equivalent path

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    Actually,. What is optical equivalent path.,.???? Is this and optical path length are same,.,.,??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2
    the first thing that comes to mind is that this is to do with refractive index.For example light slows down in glass, water etc and the wavelength becomes shorter. In some applications such as interference this means that the 'physical distance' becomes a different (greater) distance as far as the waves are concerned.
    Hope that this is some help although I am not certain that it is a complete explanation.

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where did you see the phrase "optical equivalent path"?

I did a Google search for it, putting it in quotes as shown above in order to keep the words together in the search. Besides this very thread, and links to it, I found only a U.S. patent application for a camera pentaprism. There, it seems to mean the same thing as "optical path length."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook