Interference Patterns in Optical Fibers: Causes and Solutions

In summary: I don't see any noise when I do this. Could it be the shielding you are using or is there something else going on?If you disconnect the fiber, do you still see the noise at the RX end?Yes.
cyclone24
Hey all

I am using optical fibers as a read-out medium form a PCB. I see interference in the data through this fiber. Can someone shed a light on the interference patterns on the optical fiber? Usually one should not see any electronic noise in fibers. How true is it and how to get around it? It is an SC-SC type fiber.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean interference in the RF sense - not an interference pattern in the light output right?

You can still have pickup and electrical noise in the transmitter and receiver - especially in the photodiode and amplifier on the receiving end.

Yes, in the RF sense. So are there any simple ways to suppress the noise? Thought there won't be electrical noise on the fibers, because its an 'optical fiber'.

anybody??

cyclone24 said:
Yes, in the RF sense. So are there any simple ways to suppress the noise? Thought there won't be electrical noise on the fibers, because its an 'optical fiber'.

There is no RF interference with the light in the fiber. Any noise pickup would be in the electronics either at the TX end or the RX end. I've used fiber to decouple noise from very high voltage immunity test equipment, but you have to do things right at the RX end to be able to see a clean signal.

Can you describe your setup more, and tell us what the interfering source is? What is the equipment monitoring the RX signal?

My setup consists of a small PCB with preamps acquiring digital data onto another PCB that stores the data counts. There is a 1 meter long LVDS cable connecting these two PCBs. Tx, Rx optical fibers are connected from the 2nd PCB (where the data is stored) to the PCI card in a computer.

Now there is a strong RF source which is the radiating element very close to this setup which couples to DC circuit, during the RF's duty cycle. I tried Faraday cage shielding and used decoupling filters. Still there are traces of interference.

Whenever the RF is active, it corrupts the data and the noise is picked up (I guess) on these fibers and received (Rx) by the computer.

I wanted to know the mechanism of noise transfer on fibers and how to suppress it or divert it, if it is not the RF interfering with the light.

Thanks

cyclone24 said:
My setup consists of a small PCB with preamps acquiring digital data onto another PCB that stores the data counts. There is a 1 meter long LVDS cable connecting these two PCBs. Tx, Rx optical fibers are connected from the 2nd PCB (where the data is stored) to the PCI card in a computer.

Now there is a strong RF source which is the radiating element very close to this setup which couples to DC circuit, during the RF's duty cycle. I tried Faraday cage shielding and used decoupling filters. Still there are traces of interference.

Whenever the RF is active, it corrupts the data and the noise is picked up (I guess) on these fibers and received (Rx) by the computer.

I wanted to know the mechanism of noise transfer on fibers and how to suppress it or divert it, if it is not the RF interfering with the light.

Thanks

If you disconnect the fiber, do you still see the noise at the RX end?

And to elaborate more on the setup of mine that I mentioned. I ended up needing to move the RX end at least 15m away from the source, I had to run it off of battery power with no external connections to anything, and I needed to enclose it in a Faraday cage of conductive metal screening. Once I did that, I had no noise signal with no fiber attached, and I had a valid signal with the fiber attached.

There are lots of ways that noise can get into a measurement...

No, I don't see it...

cyclone24 said:
No, I don't see it...

Okay, that would imply that the problem is at the TX end. Can you post a schematic of the TX circuit & PCB layout?

Will try...thanx!

1. What is optical fiber interference?

Optical fiber interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more light waves traveling through an optical fiber interact with each other, resulting in changes in the amplitude, phase, or polarization of the light waves.

2. How does optical fiber interference affect data transmission?

Optical fiber interference can cause distortions and fluctuations in the transmitted light signal, leading to errors in data transmission. This can result in a decrease in the quality and reliability of the transmitted data.

3. What are the causes of optical fiber interference?

There are several factors that can cause optical fiber interference, including imperfect fiber joints, variations in fiber density, and external environmental factors like temperature and pressure changes.

4. How can optical fiber interference be minimized?

To minimize optical fiber interference, high-quality fibers and precise installation techniques can be used. Additionally, using specialized equipment, such as fiber optic isolators and filters, can help reduce the effects of interference.

5. What are the applications of optical fiber interference?

Optical fiber interference can be used in various applications, such as in telecommunications, where it is used to transmit data over long distances without significant signal loss. It is also used in fiber optic sensors to detect changes in temperature, pressure, and other environmental conditions.