Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Fibers Question

1. Apr 10, 2005 #1
    It seems that a major concern in the fabrication of optical fibers is hydroxyl diffusion into the fibers. I understand that a high hydroxyl concentration can lead to much higher attenuation. I don't know why though.

Can someone please explain to me why the hydroxyl concentration affects optical signal attenuation so dramatically?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2005 #2
    Google Results for - hydroxyl concentration affects optical signal attenuation
    Result 1 - 10 of about 962. Search took 0.404610 seconds.

I'm sure you could find the answer in one of these sites

4. Apr 21, 2005 #3
    Well, "explain", hrmm.... but it has something to do with vibration at least. But as I'm writing it seems odd to me that the optical and vibrational energy scales should overlap...
    I think, however, the solution lies in that "optical" fibers actually don't use visible light (the association one, at least I, might get from optical). I think there was something with 1,54 mikrometers, which is rather a large wavelength. Probably this is where hydroxyls absorb into an excited vibration state. Yeah, this seems right. Am however not so eager to check with a calculation for the moment... :zzz:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?