1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Fibreglass.

1. May 9, 2013 #1
    If you had to classify the above material under one of the below material categories which would it be?
    a) Ceramic b) Composite c) Metallic d) Polymer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2013 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Do you refer to fibreoptic strands, or some weird type of insulation, or what?
    If the first, it can be glass or plastic.

4. May 9, 2013 #3
    I'm not too sure to be honest. It's only an intro into materials and the lecturer sent us solutions of a past paper in which he classified it as ceramic and that seemed sort of odd to me.

5. May 9, 2013 #4

Danger

Gold Member

This is puzzling. Fibreglass as used in insulation is essentially just regular glass spun into a "wool" like candy floss. For making boats and whatnot, it's used as reinforcement for a polymer. I've never heard of it having any optical properties aside from those of any other structural material.
    Fibreoptics use optically pure glass or plastic strands with specific internal reflection to transmit light from one place to another.
    I honestly can't figure out how the term "ceramic" could apply to any of those. In the second instance (boats, car parts) it's clearly a polymer. (Not the glass itself, of course, but the combination of glass wool and resin is called fibreglass.)
    I know that by the strictest definition, glass itself is a type of ceramic, but that is not used in any traditional communication. It's considered to be obsolete.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  6. May 9, 2013 #5
    Thanks for the explanation. I'll just have to assume that it's a typo so.

7. May 11, 2013 #6

Danger

Gold Member

How about you just ask the lecturer what's up, then pop back in here to satisfy my curiosity?

8. May 11, 2013 #7
    Wish I could man, but we're finished up for the year and he's more than likely gone back home.

9. May 11, 2013 #8

Danger

Gold Member

Bummer. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted