Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Illusion Box Impossible

1. Dec 30, 2008 #1

The back portion is a box. But depending on how you look at it, it becomes one of those boxes that is impossible to close without crossing itself. Its an optical illusion, that I made out of pure luck! I showed it to someone and they were puzzled for a good 10 mins. I stood there saying its a box, whats not to get? See, its right there. The guy was like, I dont see a box, how is this a box?

If you look at it just right, it looks like it has two cross braces supporting the front side at 45degrees.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2008 #2

Gold Member

The main body is a hexagon with one cross brace missing. LOL
  4. Dec 30, 2008 #3
    it's a weird isometric view, but i don't see what's impossible about it.
  5. Dec 30, 2008 #4
    Is it supposed to be this sort of thing?
  6. Dec 30, 2008 #5
    Here are some wheels to put on it.

7. Dec 30, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nor do I. The box part is a cube, with three faces "open"

Now edward's wheels image is something I could stare at for hours. If only I had the time! But alas, I must go waste time on some other threads for a while.
  8. Dec 30, 2008 #7
    I see you are using Solidworks. That iso view can make things harder to make out. I use the Dimetric or Trimetric view when I run into that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?