Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical illusion

1. Dec 26, 2004 #1
    This optical illusion is driving me nuts. I know the answer. I know the two squares are the same color, but I cannot convince my brain to believe it.
    [​IMG]
    there are a few neat optical illusions here Flash

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2004 #2
    This is cooler. Print out that picture. Then cut down in such a way that you slice squares A and B into the same shape. Then move half of A beside hald of B.
    It's amazing, they'll both look different but once you blint they'll both look the same shade.

4. Dec 27, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me either. I can usually see these things but that one eludes me. I had to print it out to convince myself this wasn't bogus. At first I didn't believe it!

5. Dec 27, 2004 #4
    Check this one out: The two centers are the same shade of grey.

[​IMG]

6. Dec 27, 2004 #5
    Your pic doesn't work. Upload it to www.imageshack.us and then try again.

7. Dec 27, 2004 #6
  8. Dec 27, 2004 #7
    my mouse pointer is a white arrow. when I drag it over the blue square the arrow turns yellow

9. Dec 27, 2004 #8

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I cannot believe that. They are not equally shaded!!.It is impossible!! :confused:

10. Dec 27, 2004 #9
    Your cursor turns yellow? My cursor doesnt appear to change, maybe your cursors magic.

11. Dec 27, 2004 #10
    or check out this one
    [​IMG]

12. Dec 27, 2004 #11
    No they aren't..

13. Dec 27, 2004 #12

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see the same color anywhere.

See this:

-!-
    /\

she is a naked girl, can you see her? (kidding) :rofl:

I mean, I don't see the same color. Do you see it really?

14. Dec 27, 2004 #13
    lol, I was curious to see if anyone took these optical illusions for granted. So I drew one that was obviously untrue to see if anyone would just accept it.

15. Dec 27, 2004 #14
    How about this: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:
    [​IMG]

16. Dec 28, 2004 #15
    Here are two.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Attached Files:

17. Dec 28, 2004 #16
    Well, neither do I. But this pic shows it all:

[​IMG]

By the way I really like the optic illusion found be Omicron. :bugeye:

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the size.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  18. Dec 29, 2004 #17
    More impossible rotations
    [​IMG]

19. Dec 29, 2004 #18
  20. Dec 29, 2004 #19
    The slope of the triangle is different. In one of the triangles is not a line

21. Dec 29, 2004 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neither of the "triangles" is really a triangle. They both supposedly have a slope of 5/13 (=0.385), but since 5 and 13 are relatively prime, you can not recreate this slope with smaller integers. This tells you that the slopes on the red and blue triangles must be different from that of the overall "triangle". A quick check confirms this.

The red triangle has a slope of 3/8(=0.375) and the blue one has a slope of 2/5 (=0.4). Since one of these slopes is bigger, and the other smaller, than that of the overall "triangle", their arrangement determines the concavity or convexity of the overall shape. In this case, the uppex figure is slightly concave while the lower figure is convex on the slopy side.

The difference in areas between these slivers accounts for the missing square.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?