Mouse Blinking: Microsoft Wireless Desktop 900 (PT3-00001)

• Thread starter mwatts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optical
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 900 (PT3-00001) mouse/keyboard combo, specifically the blinking light under the mouse when left suspended for a certain amount of time. It is suggested that this is an energy conservation mode and it may be explained in the documentation. It is also mentioned that this behavior could indicate a dying battery and suggestions for finding a replacement or troubleshooting the issue are given.
mwatts
I have this mouse/keyboard combo Microsoft Wireless Desktop 900 (PT3-00001) (Amazon link for reference), and I noticed that if I leave the bottom of the mouse suspended from my desk for about 56s, the light emitter starts blinking -- has anyone seen the same thing with this model or, more interesting, a different model or even different brand?

Probably this is just a peculiarity of the firmware, but I'm curious if anyone else has observed this and whether it's a feature common to other such devices or if there's some commonality like a particular device manufacturer.

Computer science news on Phys.org
When mine does that, it means the battery is running low and the mouse (battery/batteries) will soon fail.

Are you talking about the light under the mouse? It's probably an energy conservation mode.

Read the documentation that comes with or came with your mouse, since it might explain a few things to help. I too sometimes use a mouse which goes to sleep if not used during several minutes or seconds; and then can be re-awoken with a button click or by turn off and then turn on again. If this problem is a sudden one, the blinking light on top of mouse, then it is probably an indication that battery is dying.

Likes russ_watters
Thanks for the suggestions.

russ_watters said:
Are you talking about the light under the mouse? It's probably an energy conservation mode.
That sounds about right. If they do acceptance testing on the assembled product, I can see using a slow blink to indicate power-saving mode is active rather than just turning the light off since that could just mean a short or bad connection.

@symbolpoint, this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that shows up in a user guide, but I checked and it doesn't mention.

Maybe I can take it apart after the warranty runs out ...

mwatts said:
@symbolpoint, this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that shows up in a user guide, but I checked and it doesn't mention.

Maybe I can take it apart after the warranty runs out ...
Documentation on such things as wireless mouse will vary; sometimes with no helpful documentation included to explain anything. Several of the wireless mouses are for very low prices. For this I do not care much about warranty; but maybe one would feel differently if mouse price were over $50.

You can check how your mouse is still behaving and if or if not failing. You might also try checking their website if they have one and see if you can learn any insight there.

In case you find you need a replacement mouse, like if changing battery does not help, you should be able to find a mouse from an office supply store for less than $15.

1. What is "Mouse Blinking"?

"Mouse Blinking" refers to the light on the underside of the mouse that blinks to indicate that the mouse is on and functioning.

2. How does the "Mouse Blinking" feature work on the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 900 (PT3-00001)?

The "Mouse Blinking" feature on the Microsoft Wireless Desktop 900 (PT3-00001) is controlled by an LED light located on the bottom of the mouse. This light blinks when the mouse is turned on and ready to use.

3. Can the "Mouse Blinking" feature be turned off?

Yes, the "Mouse Blinking" feature can be turned off. This can be done by changing the mouse settings in the control panel or by using the mouse's software.

4. Why is the "Mouse Blinking" feature important?

The "Mouse Blinking" feature is important as it serves as a visual cue for the user to know that the mouse is on and working. This can be especially useful if the mouse is not responding or if the battery is running low.

5. Does the "Mouse Blinking" feature drain the battery?

The "Mouse Blinking" feature does consume some battery power, but it is minimal. It is recommended to turn off the feature when not in use to conserve battery life.