1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Path Length

1. Aug 9, 2004 #1
    This is the question:
    The optical path length of a light beam is nd where n is the refractive index and d is the physical distance. A light beam passes through 2.0 in thick glass (n=1.525) and then through 12 in. of water (n=1.33) and finally though 0.6 in of polystyrene (n=1.590). What is the optical path length?

Is this too easy to just multiply the refractive index by the length and then add all of those numbers? When I did that I got about 20 inches. I was also wondering if I missed a trick or anything in this problem. The length could be different (instead of using the values of 2 in, 12 in, and 0.6 in) because the light becomes bent (with the refractive index). Does this set up a triangle in the glass, water, and polystrene? Is only the one side of the triangle 2 in and i am looking for the hypotenuse as a length value? If so how would i calculate that with no angles (or only a 90 degree one)?
    Thanks for reading.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted