Optical Path Length: Calculate w/ Refractive Index & Length

In summary, the optical path length of a light beam passing through 2.0 in thick glass (n=1.525), 12 in. of water (n=1.33), and 0.6 in of polystyrene (n=1.590) is approximately 20 inches. The light only refracts if it's incident at an angle to the interface, but since the problem does not specify an incident angle and all interfaces are parallel, it can be assumed that the light is initially perpendicular to each interface. Therefore, the method of multiplying the refractive index by the length and then adding all the numbers is a valid way to calculate the optical path length.
istinkatphysics
This is the question:
The optical path length of a light beam is nd where n is the refractive index and d is the physical distance. A light beam passes through 2.0 in thick glass (n=1.525) and then through 12 in. of water (n=1.33) and finally though 0.6 in of polystyrene (n=1.590). What is the optical path length?

Is this too easy to just multiply the refractive index by the length and then add all of those numbers? When I did that I got about 20 inches. I was also wondering if I missed a trick or anything in this problem. The length could be different (instead of using the values of 2 in, 12 in, and 0.6 in) because the light becomes bent (with the refractive index). Does this set up a triangle in the glass, water, and polystrene? Is only the one side of the triangle 2 in and i am looking for the hypotenuse as a length value? If so how would i calculate that with no angles (or only a 90 degree one)?
Thanks for reading.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
istinkatphysics said:
Is this too easy to just multiply the refractive index by the length and then add all of those numbers?
This is correct. I also get about 20.

istinkatphysics said:
I was also wondering if I missed a trick or anything in this problem.
Nope!

istinkatphysics said:
The length could be different (instead of using the values of 2 in, 12 in, and 0.6 in) because the light becomes bent (with the refractive index).
The light only refracts if it's incident at an angle to the interface. Since they don't give you an incident angle, it's safe to assume that the light is initially perpendicular to each interface and all the interfaces are parallel to each other.

Likes Delta2

1. What is the definition of optical path length?

The optical path length is the distance that light travels through a medium, taking into account any changes in direction due to refraction.

2. How do you calculate optical path length?

To calculate optical path length, you multiply the refractive index of the medium by the physical length of the medium that the light passes through. This will give you the total distance that the light traveled through the medium.

3. What is the refractive index?

The refractive index is a measure of how much a material can bend or refract light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

4. How does the refractive index affect the optical path length?

The refractive index directly affects the optical path length. The higher the refractive index of a material, the more the light will bend and the longer the optical path length will be.

5. Can you calculate the optical path length without knowing the refractive index?

No, the refractive index is a necessary component in calculating the optical path length. Without knowing the refractive index, you cannot accurately determine the distance that light has traveled through a medium.