Optical Phase Detection Techniques for Improved Noise Floors in Interferometers

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an interferometer and balanced detection-type scheme to measure phase shift of pulses from the same source. The speaker is curious if there are other methods that can achieve lower noise floors, potentially utilizing nonlinearity. They also question if the shot-noise limitation is fundamental and if the uncertainty principle still applies when the beam is upconverted or downconverted. The speaker suggests moving the discussion to a Quantum Physics forum for further discussion.
Manchot
Let's say you have two pulses from the same source, one whose phase is slightly delayed relative to the other one. Now, I know that you can use an interferometer and a balanced detection-type scheme to measure the phase shift (in which case you can be shot-noise limited), but I'm wondering if there's some other method that achieves lower noise floors. I'm not exactly sure what I'm talking about (which is why I'm asking), but I'm thinking about something that exploits a nonlinearity or something.

Or is the shot-noise limitation pretty much fundamental? I know that the statistics of the beam itself is ultimately limited by the uncertainty principle, but does that hold even when the beam is upconverted or downconverted?

Science news on Phys.org
Perhaps this question is better-suited for the Quantum Physics forum? If so, could someone move it there?

What is optical phase detection?

Optical phase detection is a method used to measure the phase difference between two light waves. It is often used in optical interferometers and can be used to detect small changes in distance or displacement.

How does optical phase detection work?

Optical phase detection works by splitting a beam of light into two paths, with one path being used as a reference and the other path interacting with the object being measured. The two paths are then recombined and the resulting interference pattern is analyzed to determine the phase difference between the two paths.

What are the applications of optical phase detection?

Optical phase detection has various applications, including distance and displacement measurement, surface profiling, and vibration analysis. It is also used in optical coherence tomography, which is a non-invasive imaging technique used in medical and biological research.

What are the advantages of optical phase detection?

One of the main advantages of optical phase detection is its high sensitivity and accuracy. It can detect very small changes in distance or displacement, making it useful for a wide range of scientific and industrial applications. It is also a non-contact method, which means it does not physically touch the object being measured, making it suitable for delicate or sensitive materials.

Are there any limitations to optical phase detection?

While optical phase detection has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It requires stable and coherent light sources, which can be expensive and difficult to maintain. It is also sensitive to external factors such as temperature and vibrations, which can affect the accuracy of the measurements. Additionally, it may not be suitable for measuring highly reflective surfaces or objects with complex shapes.