1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Optical Physics

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1
    Given the wavelength of lightwave in a vacuum is 540mm, what will it be in water, where n = 1.33?

To solve this problem, it seems like I would need to find a relationship of the frequency of light to the wavelength and that is easily obtained from the equation lambda = c/nu and the frequency can be solved.

Since n=speed of light in vacuum/speed of light in material.

We can find the speed of light in the material (water) and thus the wavelength.

But it seems like there is a problem somewhere as I cannot seem to obtain a reasonable answer.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #2
    You quoted the wavelength as 540mm, are you sure it's not nm? That would make sense if it's visible light. Then I'm pretty sure lambda(water)=lambda(vac)/n is right.
  4. Sep 4, 2006 #3
    You know what. It is nm. I got an answer where the wavelength is 4.06*10^-7m. Anyone wants to double-check my answer?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?